Controlling temperature

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theplasticfantasty

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to making cold process soaps, and I had a question regarding temperature. The first two batches I've made so far, I mixed my oils and lye solution at around room temp, 75 degrees fahrenheit (making sure they're both within 10 degrees of each other before mixing), but I want to try at a higher temperature for my next batch

My question is, how would you go about controlling temperatures if you want higher or lower degrees? I know that lye can already get very hot at the get go, and I've cooled it off to about 80 degrees by setting its container in an ice bath for a few minutes, but how would you heat it back up if you wanted?

And same with the oils, how would you go about heating them up or cooling them off? I know it's sort of a stupid question, but I wanted to be totally sure before I do something like stick my oils in the microwave, in case that would do something to the integrity of the batch. Thank you guys!

Back