Containers to infuse oil in

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

So I'm about to dabble with infusing oil with such things like calendula petals, and I'm going to be adding them to the olive oil for a week or so. I have yet to decide on a container for this. I have some glass jars and plastic cups but I'm not sure which would be best to use. Do you think they are both as good as one another or is the jar better?

What would you infuse in?

I always use glass jars, but anything would work. If you use plastic with something that has a strong scent, it could hold the scent and then alter whatever you put into the plastic cup the next time. Most things you'd infuse wouldn't do that, but some would. I infuse oils with Balm of Gilead buds. I love the fragrance, but I wouldn't want that smell to get into my lighter, flowery soaps. If you have glass jars, that's the safest way to go.

Best wishes!

Jenny

Ditto what Jenny said and I put it on the kitchen windowsill to let the sun help it out.

Kitn

I actually cram my Calendula down into my olive oil jar and cap it, then put it out on the porch where the sun shines a lot. I shake it every day. :)

on a bit of a different note, I noticed Jenny mention the container retaining the smell of whatever you put in it and i wanted to share a neat trick i just learned. i might be behind on this one, you all might know it already but i'll share anyway. when you have a container, glass or whatever that you want to remove the smell from you need to put used coffee grinds into the container and fill it with water and let soak overnight. clean it the way you normally would and voila the smell is gone. it's really incredible.

Thanks for the tip! I knew there had to be a way to get smells out. Coffee soap works great for getting smells off hands, so makes sense that it would work for containers.

Latest posts

Back