Containers for melting M&P

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsSpaceship

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to test some M&P, but I'm trying to dot all my 'i's' and cross my 't's' first. I've done a search on using plastic containers for melting M&P bases and I haven't seen anything beyond don't.

My question is why when they use plastic molds? I have plastic measuring cups that I use for my cp/hp soaping that are category 5 which is safe for hot liquids and chemicals, I won't be letting my base get too hot and it's not caustic, so why is the common consensus don't use it if that's what you have available.

I'm fine if there's a scientific/health related reason for it, I just don't want to go get a bunch of glassware to test out something I may not end up using again based on misinformation that gets continuously passed along in the blogosphere.

Last edited:
I used certain plastics for my MP soap that I melted in the microwave. I cant remember which they were but I'm pretty certain it was PP5 and HDPE.

There is no reason I can think of that you cant use plastic except that it can melt. I had one cheap container melt on me once but, thats also when I learned NOT to put/ remelt a soap w/ metalic glitter in it (microwave + metal = no bueno) Oops!

I think plastic is just fine! Especially The really sturdy ones. You just want to make sure it doesnt soften.

ETA: also remember that you are pouring your finished soap at around 100-120 F but you may get upwards of 170 F while melting it (more if you aren't careful like I sometimes was...:shifty:). Even at 100-120 though, there are plenty of molds that really arent ok for use w/ MP soap. Some can withstand the heat and others cant.

Last edited:
I also use the pyrex cup in my microwave. I tried using the plastic cheaper measuring pitchers from the dollar store but they didn't do well and melted.

I'm going to have to invest in more pyrex measuring cups, at least for detailed multi pours.
I tried using my plastic cups, to pour a bunch of embeds. I didn't have too much of a problem melting the body of the M&P, the issues I noticed was when I poured and the soap clung to the the edge and cooled very quickly, creating a soap dam of sorts which inhibited further pouring. Not good when you're trying to fill a bunch of small molds.

Latest posts

Back