Containers for lye with recycling #2

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kniquy

Reaction score
I am looking for a container to use which i can mix up my lye water ahead of time, cool and store. I have a few containers at home which have the #2 on the bottom. Are these safe to use to mix and store lye in? I remember reading that a #5 was safe just not sure about a #2

I use the old bottles I received NaOH and KOH from Essential Depot. Sturdy, correct material (#2), and they have a secure lid. Other than that, I would use empty laundry detergent bottles. Same reasons. Be very, very sure that the bottle you use has a good lid that is not easily dislodged in case you drop it.

Type 4 would likely melt from the heat. Type 7, on the other hand is way better.
#4 is LDPE and is chemically safe for alkali so it mostly depends on the thickness.
Number 7 is for "Other" and includes plastics like Polycarbonate which is not chemically stable against a strong alkali.

#4 is LDPE and is chemically safe for alkali so it mostly depends on the thickness.
Number 7 is for "Other" and includes plastics like Polycarbonate which is not chemically stable against a strong alkali.
Type 7 plastic is a broad category, some of which stand up to heat and chemical reactions very well. Unless the US takes initiative and narrows that category, I'll just keep following my fish and use what I have been using.

I am looking for a container to use which i can mix up my lye water ahead of time, cool and store. I have a few containers at home which have the #2 on the bottom. Are these safe to use to mix and store lye in? I remember reading that a #5 was safe just not sure about a #2
I'm currently using an Coffeemate plastic container to hold my lye water in while it's cooling. It's a #2. Works beautifully. :)

Latest posts

Back