Containers for Lye Solution

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raspandberry

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm very new to soap making and I want to try making my first batch very soon. I hope you can help me with regards to the containers I'll use for CP soap making. I wanted to make sure they're safe as I'm a bit scared of preparing the lye solution (got the goggles and gloves etc but still). I'm adding some photos of the said containers so could anyone please let me know if they're okay to use? It's also my first time posting and attaching files so let's hope everything works out well!

1. Can I use the red cup to mix the lye solution? It has recycing symbol and 5 underneath. Is it too small or would it be okay for a small batch?
2. I had actually ordered a lab grade polypropylene beaker but they sent me a measuring cup for kitchen. It doesn't have a number on the recycling symbol, it just says it's dishwasher safe for 95 degrees C (about 200 degrees F). I might send it back but I was curious if this could be used to mix lye?
3. Can I use this to mix the oils and the lye solution? It is a 3 liter mixing bowl and it has the 5 PP symbol.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 2021-03-06 21-32-28 (4).JPG
    2021-03-06 21-32-28 (4).JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 2021-03-06 21-32-28 (5).JPG
    2021-03-06 21-32-28 (5).JPG
    37 KB · Views: 7
  • 2021-03-06 21-32-28 (1).JPG
    2021-03-06 21-32-28 (1).JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 2021-03-06 21-32-28.JPG
    2021-03-06 21-32-28.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 2021-03-06 21-32-28 (3).JPG
    2021-03-06 21-32-28 (3).JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 2021-03-02 17-47-28.JPG
    2021-03-02 17-47-28.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 6
1. I think this might be too small. 2. Could be okay, but without a recycling number, I wouldn't chance it - especially for your first batch. 3. It's hard to tell from the picture, but it appears to be a wide bowl, and could be prone to splashing. It could also be hard to pour from. I have a dedicated for lye solution stainless frothing pitcher, but when it isn't clean I've used these:
https://www.target.com/p/ziploc-twi...dium-round-32oz-2-ct/-/A-47992253#lnk=sametab
Rubbermaid pitchers are another option. Just make sure that the opening is wide enough to be able to easily stir, and check the recycling code on the bottom.

Welcome, and good luck with your first batch!

I use this Measuring Cup from my local Dollar Tree. I've been using them for over two years now and not have any issues. I also use them when I pour off small amounts of batter to color. For up to 3 lbs of batter, I use these Mixing Bowls, also from the Dollar Tree. I also have about a half dozen of these Large Mixing Bowls. I don't use for actually making soap in, way too thin, but they are perfect to put ice in...to keep keep your bowl of Macaroni or Potato Salad chilled or when you are mixing up milk-based lye solution. Just put a couple of tablespoons of salt in with the ice water to keep it colder longer.

I use the ziplock containers. I masterbatch but I still measure out into the ziplocks. Best thing is you can draw cool skulls and crossbones with a sharpie and write LYE all over them. They last forever and they can be covered to prevent spills.

I mostly use pitchers like this:
1615130535721.png

The one pictured is Rubbermaid, but other brands are fine as long as it is capable of withstanding the lye and the heat.

The ones I use are HDPE (recycle #2) or PP (recycle #5). PP can withstand higher heat that HDPE, but both are good for mixing lye solution. Both withstand repeated use for lye solution mixing, meaning, I have never had one deteriorate or crack or spring a leak.

I like that they are tall and have a lid, which prevents evaporation-induced loss of lye solution as it cools.

In my early days making soap, I did use some cheap measuring cups from the Dollar Store that deteriorated and cracked on the bottom, leaking lye solution all over my sink and down the drain. Thankfully, I have always made it my habit to mix my lye solution in the basin of my sink when at home or in a hotel room, AND I didn't move the leaking container away from the sink before seeing that it was cracked.

I would advise using a tall container with straight sides with a well-fitted lid like this. I have been using the same vessels for years with no problems. When travelling, I do have a smaller similar one that I use for smaller batches of soap, but the shape and lid situation are very much along the same idea. But not everyone makes soap when they travel, so I won't picture it here.

Latest posts

Back