Container for lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrysta

Reaction score
Hey all!

Im trying to work some weekday soaping into my schedule. I just cant wait for the weekend!! Is there a container you all could recommend where I could store my pre-made lye solution?

Would these containers work?
https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=63269

I just dont want to come home and find my lye has eaten through the container and now I have a scary mess to clean =)

Thank you!!

Plastics with these recycle codes on the bottom are good for storing lye:

HDPE #2
PP #5

I store mine long-term in a reclaimed liquid laundry detergent bottle with a screw-top lid (made of HDPE #2).

I personally wouldn't consider storing lye solution in any container (even though the right plastic type) if it did not have a screw-top lid that screws down tight, because of possible evaporation issues.....and also because accidents happen, i.e., the container could get bumped or tipped over. A screw-down lid will stay on if the container falls or gets bumped and tips over, but a lid like the one shown in your pics would most likely pop right off.

IrishLass :)

A bucket such as you link to will be very heavy and unwieldy to lift, tilt and pour your pre-made lye. I prefer a bottle that when full of liquid is easy for me to lift, tilt and pour safely (give my personal strength & coordination). Of course you may be much stronger and more coordinated than I, but I cannot manage a 5 gallon water bottle full of only water to replace and empty one on a stand-alone water dispenser without dropping it and getting water all over the floor. So no large bottles of liquid lye for me! I stick to the 32 ounce size containers with a child-proof screw on cap that I can easily lift, tilt and pour from. In my youth I could have managed a larger container, my strength has waned as I aged and may continue to do so, if experience around me is any indication.

As IrishLass said,

HDPE #2
PP #5

are the safest and a screw top lid is essential as well. A fairly narrow pouring area is also important for accuracy of pouring. I also like a smooth rounded lip for pouring, which that bucket may have (not sure), but the pouring area is far to huge for pouring small amounts of lye solution into smaller containers.

I had been storing mine in a rubbermaid container (the kind made for liquids, so it has a pour spout), but it seemed to be pretty flimsy even though it was the right plastic. I had a few empty 2lb lye containers (from essentials depot) that hadn't been tossed yet and those seem to be more durable. Discovered that they perfectly hold the amount of masterbatch that I make: 26.88 oz each water and lye. The only thing I don't like is that I have to handle the premixed lye twice - once to pour it into the pitcher and mix/dissolve everything properly and again to pour it into the lye container.

Thank you all so much for your replies. Super helpful! Weird question, but is there any concern of the top blowing off with a screw top lid? gases fumes accumulating in the bottle?

No, the top will not blow off. Just cap it off after the masterbatch lye has cooled. I cover my hot lye with a light cloth until it cools. I use 1-gallon dish detergents that have childproof caps. Also #2 or #5

Thank you all so much for your replies. Super helpful! Weird question, but is there any concern of the top blowing off with a screw top lid? gases fumes accumulating in the bottle?
I just recently started masterbatching my lye water and haven’t noticed any fumes at all after the initial mixing (which I do outside). I use a small recycled laundry soap container that is #5 plastic and let the mixture cool down before I tighten the lid.

Good question, but as the others have said- no- the top won't blow off. :)

IrishLass :)

I got a couple containers from Dollar Tree that work great. They are a cylindrical plastic canister with a blue screw on top. They are HDPE 5. What I especially like is that the lip that is on the rim makes for a super easy pour - no drips even when measuring out those last few grams. They are a wide mouth so I mix and store in the same jug. I'm planning to eventually put it in an empty laundry detergent bottle and see if I like it better- but I have to empty one first.

Latest posts

Back