container for lye?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What container do people use when measuring lye? I use a glass container but a good portion of the lye sticks to the glass. I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks!

I use a little plastic tray that came with one of my first weight scales. If any lye sticks to the tray I usually will stir my lye solution and then take a spoonful out and swirl it around the tray to melt any remaining crystals and then dump it into the pitcher of solution.

What container do people use when measuring lye? I use a glass container but a good portion of the lye sticks to the glass. I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks!
I pour my lye granules into a glass pyrex bowl and, from there, into my water. Occasionally, depending on the weather, a few granules stick to the bowl but I scoop them out with my stir stick.

Funny this should come up as I have been reviewing my tool supply lately. All of my tools for soap making are custom designed and have undergone rigorous testing in varied environmental conditions and situations for reasons of safety before being placed in the home for use. The lye weighing container is one such example. It went through a special manufacturing process in China and after a testing period involving ships, maybe planes, and definitely different weather conditions it was field tested for a couple of years in the hands of children. This is where it received its most extreme testing. It was never revealed to those testing that it was to be a chemical weighing container. It was disguised as a cup/lid on a Scooby Doo thermos contained in a metal Scooby Doo lunch box. It performed well in field testing and has been exemplary in weighing lye. Yes, some lye beads stick to it when poured into the water but a couple of bumps against the container usually removes most if not all of them. There's never more than a few that persistently stick after 3 or 4 bumps on the water container. It then gets a long rinse in the empty side of the sink while I'm stirring the lye in the other.
IMG_1967.JPG

Funny this should come up as I have been reviewing my tool supply lately. All of my tools for soap making are custom designed and have undergone rigorous testing in varied environmental conditions and situations for reasons of safety before being placed in the home for use. The lye weighing container is one such example. It went through a special manufacturing process in China and after a testing period involving ships, maybe planes, and definitely different weather conditions it was field tested for a couple of years in the hands of children. This is where it received its most extreme testing. It was never revealed to those testing that it was to be a chemical weighing container. It was disguised as a cup/lid on a Scooby Doo thermos contained in a metal Scooby Doo lunch box. It performed well in field testing and has been exemplary in weighing lye. Yes, some lye beads stick to it when poured into the water but a couple of bumps against the container usually removes most if not all of them. There's never more than a few that persistently stick after 3 or 4 bumps on the water container. It then gets a long rinse in the empty side of the sink while I'm stirring the lye in the other.
View attachment 32433
Thanks for a good laugh!

Paper coffee cups.
And a good wipe om the outside of the cup with a dryer sheet to remove static cling helps too.
Then a rinse.
Never drink from a cup in the trash at my house.

Thanks for the reminder of using dryer sheets. I think I knew that at one time. This aging thing is sometimes troublesome.
Getting cups out of the trash for unwanted guests is as good as letting them see the dog lick the plates before putting them in the cabinet. Actually it's better, because the trash cups are before dinner. Maybe they'll leave! :thumbs::)

Back