Considering a OO/Lard CP batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeepItSimpleSoap

Reaction score
As I stand at the range periodically cooking breakfast or rendering Lard I keep noticing a little 8.5 oz bottle of extra virgin Olive Oil. I have considered a simple recipe based on the number of oz in the bottle that cost $1- at the DT. Based on my 25.25 oz recipe of oils the new recipe would be
8.oz of virgin Olive Oil, OO 33.66%
16.75 oz of rendered bacon grease, Lard 66.34%
3.48 oz of 100% Sodium Hydroxide, LYE
8 oz of H2O, water. Distilled, rain or good well water

Has anyone made a similar recipe and how do you like the soap?

It’ll be an okay soap. Not much in the way of bubbles. I also don’t like any soap with more than 30% OO. I would personally add some coconut oil at 15-20%. Castor if you have it at 5%. But could add 1tsp of sugar ppo dissolved in your water before adding the lye.
Give your recipe a try and see how you like it.

Is 100% Lard soap more bubbly than the mix with OO added? I havn't been able to try out the Lard soap yet because it won't be cured until the middle of January. Maybe I could just use around 4 oz of OO? I was looking to expand my soaping beyond the basic Lard soap that I have been learning on. Also a little off of the current topic is there something in my kitchen that I could add to spice it up a bit (cinnamon) or ground coffee to make a hand bar to scrub really dirty hands with. I assume I would use new unused ground coffee.
Edited-@shunt2011. I just found some coffee info that you posted back in 2015. Thanks for your input. Y'all are real helpful around here!

Last edited:
EVOO.jpg

EVOO 8.5oz bottle. Dollar Tree. $1- plus tax.
Hmmm. On the back of the bottle it says 94% pure Soybean oil and 6% Extra Virgin Olive Oil. False advertising... Imagine that!

When the label says EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL Blend for 6 % of olive it is false advertizing for me. The capitals are meant to attract the eye and perception much more than the small lettered Blend.

Latest posts

Back