Confused on Shampoo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBSoaps

Reaction score
Okay, so I want to start making my own shampoo. i know it is harder than soap, but I'm getting pretty confused on what to do from here.

I found this forum and some recipes around the internet, but everything is different, and different from the book I bought.

Half of them sound like I'm mixing vegetable oil, the rest say use a shampoo base, and then some say use castile soap.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for an easy to make cheap way to go. Maybe once I get the hang of it, I can branch out to some of the others.

Thanks.

Are you making liquid shampoo or solid shampoo bars? What to do depends on which you are making.

(LOL. I waited too long in composing my reply and came up with the same question, although a bit tardy.)

I want to go with a liquid shampoo that I don't have to remember to get out of the fridge.

I'll let the experienced users answer your question and give you directions and recipes, but my understanding is that you make liquid soaps using potassium hydroxide instead of sodium hydroxide (lye). You also use different SAP values for KOH.

Do I win a prize? ;)

I made shampoo this way: http://blog.knoxfarms.com/?p=14 Its not hard if you're familiar with hot process soap. In this blog there's a link to the original info. which calls for sunflower oil. I would use that instead of straight olive like what I did. You're right, there are many ways of doing it. If you have a book about liquid soap, I would absorb that before venturing into the internet. A book might be more reliable.

That helps. It is pretty close to the book I have, but using a crockpot sounds so much easier. I'll give it a try.

Back