Confused about soap vs. hair.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been trying to work out something that I like for my hair, and it is difficult. If you haven't been using a vinegar rinse (I, personally prefer a citric acid rinse) then yeah, your hair would be weird. It's amazing how the rinse makes your hair feel... I believe it's because the ph of soap is very alkaline and our hair should be slightly acidic, so the vinegar brings is closer to where it should be. That being said, I haven't been that wild about my bar soaps on my hair, but so far, I'm loving my liquid soap! I just tried a new batch on my hair last night and it's so soft and shiny this morning!

I keep a jug of cider vinegar in the shower and a big cup. I wash my hair and rinse it with water. Then I pour a glug into the cup and then fill it with hot water and pour it over my head and then rinse with water, easy peasy. I premixed it once but pouring cold water over my head was not fun. I don't know if that's the "right" way, but it works for my hair.

I'm trying to remember the proportions that you're supposed to use to mix the vinegar (I think it's something like, 1 T. per cup of water). I prefer the citric acid because it doesn't smell (not that you smell like vinegar afterwards, it's just the "in the shower smell). With the citric acid, I use something like 1/4 tsp. for 16 oz., I don't recall exactly, I've been lazy and just putting some in a spray bottle and after washing and rinsing, I spray and then re-rinse and it's amazing how your hair suddenly feels like you've used conditioner. I usually use conditioner anyway (because I'm anal that way), but I find that the conditioner sometimes makes my hair look separated then. Am I making sense?

of water). I prefer the citric acid because it doesn't smell (not that you smell like vinegar afterwards, it's just the "in the shower smell). With the citric acid, I use something like 1/4 tsp. for 16 oz.,

Where do you purchase citric acid? Is it something a health food store would possibly carry or is it a "hard to find" item. I have never used it, but want to try the shampoo out of my soap shavings and would love to try spraying this on my hair afterwards...I don't like the smell of vinegar either! :D

Debsmad, I do just pour straight apple cider vinegar onto my head! About 1/3 cup. Folks with short hair could probably use less.

I, then, rinse out the vinegar.

I buy apple cider vinegar by the gallon and keep a small, plastic bottle of vinegar within easy reach when I'm washing my hair.

Without using the vinegar, my hair feels dry and strange. The vinegar makes my hair softer, and somehow, takes out tangles.

I recently began buying goat milk soap because of my sensitive skin and I moved right into washing my hair with it as well, with good results. I was going to try the vineger rinse as well, but wasn't sure how to do it either! I'm thinking I'm just going to keep a spray bottle of this in the shower and give a few sprays after washing. Does it have to be the organic stuff, does anyone know?

I use cheap apple cider vinegar, but I do not use it every day as it will strip the natural oils from your hair. I started using it once a week, but even that, they say, can strip your hair and should not be used even that often. Besides adjusting the pH, the vinegar also gets rid of the buildup that soap leaves behind.

Back