Confidence Booster

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been having a somewhat bad run with my soaps and after a nightmare with pomace, I felt really down. My son said we needed to make a nice one to boost our morale, so we trotted out our equipment and materials and got to making an oldie but goodie – a 100% coconut oil soap :)

This has to be our best one so far! Everything went well – it didn’t trace madly quickly so we felt quite relaxed and had time to make a swirly top. We also added a little bit of mica and are so happy it turned out a soft blue.

There was a little crack at the top when we unmoulded it this morning… also little stearic spots, I think? And the smell isn’t as robust as we’d like it to be (we used cedarwood and bergamot EOs), but IT WASN’T A DISASTER!! 🎉

Little steps 😁

Attachments

• CEA513A8-0AF5-4DC2-B971-7B1181B9CBC1.jpeg
    CEA513A8-0AF5-4DC2-B971-7B1181B9CBC1.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
we need to work on reducing those pesky little bubbles while blending!
I stick a sprayer into a bottle of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and keep it handy for that. Just a light spritz or two and the bubbles disappear. Just don't get too heavy-handed with it. ;)

I’ve been having a somewhat bad run with my soaps and after a nightmare with pomace, I felt really down. My son said we needed to make a nice one to boost our morale, so we trotted out our equipment and materials and got to making an oldie but goodie – a 100% coconut oil soap :)

This has to be our best one so far! Everything went well – it didn’t trace madly quickly so we felt quite relaxed and had time to make a swirly top. We also added a little bit of mica and are so happy it turned out a soft blue.

There was a little crack at the top when we unmoulded it this morning… also little stearic spots, I think? And the smell isn’t as robust as we’d like it to be (we used cedarwood and bergamot EOs), but IT WASN’T A DISASTER!! 🎉

Little steps 😁
What a beautiful soap! It reminds me of the ocean! When i look at it, I can feel the waves tickling my toes and hear the water hitting the rocks. I enjoy making 100% coconut oil soap too. Yours is just lovely! You might find that the scent is stronger when it is being used. This doesn't always happen, but I've noticed it with several of my soaps that I thought had lost it's scent after curing. Hope you feel renewed, and confident again in your soaping skills. i think we all go through down times when a batch does something unexpected....but think of it as a learning experience and keep on growing! Soapmakers don't fail....we experiment, learn and grow! Keep up the awesome work!

What a beautiful soap! It reminds me of the ocean! When i look at it, I can feel the waves tickling my toes and hear the water hitting the rocks. I enjoy making 100% coconut oil soap too. Yours is just lovely! You might find that the scent is stronger when it is being used. This doesn't always happen, but I've noticed it with several of my soaps that I thought had lost it's scent after curing. Hope you feel renewed, and confident again in your soaping skills. i think we all go through down times when a batch does something unexpected....but think of it as a learning experience and keep on growing! Soapmakers don't fail....we experiment, learn and grow! Keep up the awesome work!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this even though you're going through a tough time. I do like the blue and love that ocean connection :) I was so sure it would look tacky but phew! Everyone's been so kind and encouraging here ... I can't help but be inspired to keep trying ❤️

Back