Confetti Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
And I cut my confetti soap this morning. I'm pretty happy. It's scented with Love Spell, which works well with the fragrances in the soap confetti.

20220314_174931_HDR.jpg

I’m curious—do you use only fresh soap for confetti, or do you think it’s ok to use 6 month old bars? Tree Marie says to use only fresh soap for confetti, but doesn’t explain why, and I’d love to know if there’s a problem using old soap

I’m curious—do you use only fresh soap for confetti, or do you think it’s ok to use 6 month old bars? Tree Marie says to use only fresh soap for confetti, but doesn’t explain why, and I’d love to know if there’s a problem using old soap
The larger yellow and green pieces were from a recent soap that seized. The others were bits and scraps that have been sitting in a paper bag for months.

Me, either. I have read that some folks will wet their shreds if they are very old or dry. I can see where that would help them stick to the new soap a little better. I keep my shreds in zip-top bags, so they stay pretty soft, like soap dough, and they have no problem sticking to the new soap.

Me, either. I have read that some folks will wet their shreds if they are very old or dry. I can see where that would help them stick to the new soap a little better. I keep my shreds in zip-top bags, so they stay pretty soft, like soap dough, and they have no problem sticking to the new soap.
Thing is, though, your new batter is wet. When I made my confetti soap, I just added the confetti into the new batter, stirred it well for a bit, then poured it into my molds. When I cut it, one small piece of confetti (that was right at the edge of the soap) fell off - just one small piece.

If there's going to be any issue, I would think that would be it. The older a soap gets, the harder it becomes. If it's too hard, your soap cutter (especially a wire cutter) might not like it.

When you use old soap for confetti it has already lost part of its water weight. When mixed in with a new batch the new will lose water as it cures and the confetti won't. After curing the confetti will be slightly raised on the surface on the soap. There is nothing wrong with the soap. Personally, I like the look and feel (almost a texture) but probably Tree Marie doesn't. I have never had a problem cutting a log with old shreds but it isn't as soft as a batch without shreds. You can always spritz your old shreds with water and let them set for an hour. That will make them softer as well as adding a bit of water to them.

Back