Confetti soap using discoloring scents...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsmar4211

Reaction score
I loved the look of the confetti soap I made to fix an oops. I'm thinking this would be a great way to get a design in some soaps using discoloring scents.. Thinking of either discolored shreds with white (plain) body or white shreds with discolored body soap.

The question is.....would I scent the confetti (the batch that I'm going to shred) or would I be better to leave the confetti white and scent the body batch? I'm wondering if by scenting the confetti, the body soap going through saponification will suck/overheat the scent out of the confetti? Has anyone tried this?

I don't add scent to the confetti (I use a lot of FO anyway), just to the new batter. I try to use scents that are complementary b/w the old and the new. I usually add 1oz ppo, so am afraid that if I re-scent the confetti part it will be overkill/irritating to the skin. B/t/w, I love this technique for confetti, mintle posted it, I think it is really pretty. Oops, just went to look for the thread and saw that you had posted a thread to which I added it. I post too much.

ETA: Did you ever try that technique? I really liked it, but I know everyone has different leanings. Also, the one time I added a highly discoloring confetti to new soap batter, I did not like it, it just ended up being an ugly discordant mess, but that might have been the color/FO combo. I am glad that I keep good notes and the soap because the formula is nice and lathers well, but it is poke-you-in-the-eye ugly.

Last edited:
I ended up with this.... it's labcolored (the shreds) so I'm seeing that those colors bleed. This is a "mine" soap since the shreds are 20% sf and will probably DOS eventually (the body mix I did at 1% sf to balance). The brown on top is a spice sprinkle :). I like the look of the shreds... They're shiny because I spritzed with alcohol after realizing how ashy the top got. Now I'm plotting on how to work this.....

My idea is to purposely do a batch that I'm going to shred... what didn't you like about your ugly batch? Now i"m thinking of using spices in the scented portion so there's more of a pop between the shreds and not....

ops.jpg

ops2.JPG

Last edited:
That is a really pretty soap, nsmar, don't know why you think it is a "mine" one. Even if it bleeds a lot it will continue to be really pretty.

OMG, what *don't* I hate about the ugly one. The colors do not work, the discolored parts bled into the parts that are supposed to stay white, it looks like there are just nasty brown bits through all of it, and not in a well-planned way. Really, it is hideous, I don't think I have ever seen one posted here that is as ugly

ETA: I am surprised that is a confetti, actually, maybe it is the resolution but I don't see discrete flecks in it?

Last edited:
"Mine" only because I'm concerned about the oops shreds turning bad... 20% SF using oils that are apparently prone to DOS (*sigh*). My theory was to do the body soap in a 1% SF sooooo it'd be like 8% SF average...but that doesn't mean the soap will cooperate LOL. The blue is grated Oops soap that I put into loaf molds and poured the 1% mix and then stirred. The ooops soap is soft and almost looks like its melted...

Hrm discolored bled..... nasty brown spots...ok the idea of doing the shreds in plain white is looking better. If the body soap bleeds into the shreds it wouldn't look so much like nasty brown spots, more like mottled. And now I'm wondering if spices bleed....eek I'm running out of time for experiements.....

Back