confetti soap question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soap peeps, I want to make a landscape scene with falling snow with grated white soap. Do I have to wait 6 weeks before I grate the soap? I want to make this as soon as possible. Thanks,
No, the grated soap doesn't need to be cured soap. Just know that when grating up uncured soap, it is soft, and tends to gum up, so you may have to stop and clean your grater a few times while grating the soap.

ETA: the insides of the uncured soap are going to be much softer than the outside also, so keep that in mind as well.

Increasing hard oils in the recipe makes the soap harden quicker and be more brittle (easier to grate up, less sticky). Increasing hard oils even further lets the snow flakes have a mild peeling/abrasive effect, which might be nice too.

I like to grate it and then pass it through a sieve to break up the clumps that form when grating fresh soap.

When I did stars in a galaxy soap, I used old light colored soap shavings that were already shredded and dry. Then I chopped 'em up in my food processor for smaller bits! It turned out pretty cool, but I didn't use as much as I actually needed, so my stars in space were kinda scarce. Something to think about!

Amundsen-Scott just reported sunrise. the weather forecast suggests that Christmas will be at around cozy -28°C (-18°F), sunny (wear sunglasses/sunscreen!) but very “white” Christmas with snow depths around 3 km + major snowdrift, and poor chances to spot aurorae.

Latest posts

Back