Confetti Soap Ideas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I gathered up all my excess soap and was surprised at how few bars I had left with OO in them, so I don't think I will have to worry about the confetti making my skin itch. Most were small rounds made when testing scents or other additives and the main oil is lard. Since my back is not cooperating while standing these days, I sat and shredded and sliced a 7 pound bucket full of soap.

Of course right at the last I sliced a nice hunk out of my thumb while I was at it! So I managed to not bleed in the bucket or the soap shreds and I have a nice mixture of shreds, crumbles and slices to pop into my next batch of soap. That might be a while until I can use my thumb again...couldn't zip up my pants this AM so back into my fat pants that I can pull up without using my thumb. When will I ever learn to listen to the good fairy on my shoulder that says, "I think that's enough slicing, you'd better quit", rather than the bad one that says,"Ah, you can do a couple more slices, go ahead!"

I love the looks of your "ends" @CaraBou so will keep that in mind for next time rather than putting the ends at my kitchen sink. I'll have to hurry up and make more soap for that....or like @KiwiMoose says, cut a few bars up into thin slices. So many ideas and so little time!

Who are all these people who need to MAKE scraps in order to make confetti soap?? I have so much from planing and bevelling that I will never ever run out. But I also won't be able to make those fun chunky ones unless I sacrifice an actual bar. I do that more in M&P, which is more forgiving and easier to make little bits when you need them.

Who are all these people who need to MAKE scraps in order to make confetti soap?? I have so much from planing and bevelling that I will never ever run out. But I also won't be able to make those fun chunky ones unless I sacrifice an actual bar. I do that more in M&P, which is more forgiving and easier to make little bits when you need them.
Right?!! I’m drowning in scraps! Lol

I don't sell and make quite a bit of soap. After saving scraps from beveling and planing for years, and never being able to use them up I have told myself it's okay to toss them. I like the looks of confetti soap (the shreds), but I don't actually like using them. I like the chunks better. I feel like it's just fine for me to use pretty soap that I've made rather than just the end cuts or scraps.

So much great creativity! Here are some loaf ends from awhile back. I keep the excess a lot less now than I used to, so this thread is inspiring.
View attachment 47710
Just wondering - as the soap pieces are harder is it difficult to cut the soap with the wire cutter once out of the mould?

Just wondering - as the soap pieces are harder is it difficult to cut the soap with the wire cutter once out of the mould?
I have found that if you use a lot of shreds that yes, it does make the loaf harder. I have a Bud Cutter that is designed to cut both M&P and CP so it can take a bit harder bar, but I go slower when I’m cutting them.

I have found that if you use a lot of shreds that yes, it does make the loaf harder. I have a Bud Cutter that is designed to cut both M&P and CP so it can take a bit harder bar, but I go slower when I’m cutting them.
Thanks, I thought it might be harder - just that I’ve alresdy managed to snap my wire when I tried a soap insert... think I’ll need a more serious cutter before I try the confetti soap! 😁

Since I don't sell and am not into pretty pictures of my soap, I don't bevel or plane any of mine. Which is probably why I don't generate soap scraps. LOL
I sell but I don't plane or bevel any of mine - and I still take pretty pictures :)
I've found that as I get further into my soap journey I have far fewer offcuts and end pieces - I eke out every last bit of soap so there's no wastage. I do however, have soap that I might just have one last piece of that doesn't seem to sell, or that doesn't smell as fragrant, or that is an 'odd bod' of some description - so these go straight to the grater!

The amount of planing required depends on which mould I'm using...milk cartons require a lot (especially since they're rarely square....) as does my slab mould (cannot figure out how to line that thing well). Loaf mould is great: no planing required. But I do bevel everything.... I find the edges very sharp otherwise and I've had more than one person say "ooooh bevelled!" which cracks me up, as my bevelling is terrible! So I guess I do it more for feel than for looks.

Here's a confetti soap that was a last-ditch effort to save a nightmare batch of coffee soap. After using a bar of it for a while, I realized it looks a lot like my kitchen countertop, which you see in the background. The bars are horribly ugly because, one, I can't seem to make pretty soap to save my life, and two, these bars were cut using a miter box and came out all crooked and uneven. Aside from that, the soap is awesome, and I'm glad I was able to salvage the nightmare batch.

Attachments

• Quartz countertop soap.jpg
    Quartz countertop soap.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 45
The amount of planing required depends on which mould I'm using...milk cartons require a lot (especially since they're rarely square....) as does my slab mould (cannot figure out how to line that thing well). Loaf mould is great: no planing required. But I do bevel everything.... I find the edges very sharp otherwise and I've had more than one person say "ooooh bevelled!" which cracks me up, as my bevelling is terrible! So I guess I do it more for feel than for looks.

This video was a game changer to me when I changed to wooden molds:

I started planing and bevelling about a year ago and have been planning on making a bunch of confetti soap with all those shreds, but was never able to use all of those. I now roll the shreds into balls immediately after bevelling/planing and either use them as small testers for personal use or give them to my mom and her friends to use for soap felting.
These are some of the very few confetti soaps that I made.
IMG_20190905_094229.jpg

I started planing and bevelling about a year ago and have been planning on making a bunch of confetti soap with all those shreds, but was never able to use all of those. I now roll the shreds into balls immediately after bevelling/planing and either use them as small testers for personal use or give them to my mom and her friends to use for soap felting.
These are some of the very few confetti soaps that I made.
View attachment 48127
That's gorgeous! Love the little soap curls.

Back