Confessions of a soapmaker

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilianNoir

Reaction score
So, a few weeks ago, as I was contemplating holding onto yet another plastic container because "I could use this in soap!", it occurred to me how soap making has changed how I perceive and interact with things in my life now. LOL
I mean, this isn't new. I think it happens to anyone who starts a hobby. But I also have learned that I am not alone in how soapmaking kind of consumes my thoughts, and has changed how I think.
And I thought it would be...funny, amusing, cute to make a "you might be a soapmaker if../funny things soapmakers doconfessions of a soapmaker" list. And from there, I thought others might like to add to it.

So here's mine:
  • You look at plastic containers in a completely different light now. What once was trash now becomes "can I make a mold out of this??" or "can I use this to hold solution"?
  • You are OBSESSED with plastic recycling codes. "is that a #5?? Gimme! I can use that!
  • You don't use your oven for food because you'll need it later for CPOP, you might CPOP, or you already have several soap loaves in it
  • You see a picture, photo, object, ANYTHING and immediately think "I could make soap that looks like that" and then start figuring out how to make it work
  • You see anything that is remotely square, rectangular, circular and already assume it's soap
  • If it looks edible to other people (e.g. fudge, candy, cake), it looks like soap to you
  • You have OPINIONS about Brambleberry
  • You are 100% ruined for commercial bath and body products (LUSH, I'm looking at you)
  • and you have OPINIONS on commercial bath and body companies too.
  • It doesn't matter how many micas/colorants/fragrance oils/essential oils you already own you NEED at least half a dozen more.

🤣 😂😂
What are yours?

Last edited:
You just want to re-watch "one" YouTube video on a swirling technique only to climb out of the rabbit hole at dawn and realize you have to go to work. (Heard that from a friend.)
I am OFFENDED, Zing, that you are somehow watching what I do at home 🤣 😂 😂 😂 😂

You look at something and think "I can use this to make a unique design on the top of my soap"!
Yessss. I forgot that one. I've taken to hoarding, um, collecting, plastic utensils for just that.

You order soup with your Chinese takeout just to have the container, not because you really want soup... :nodding:
Those containers are the best. I use them to separate batter for small batches!

One I forgot:
You have a particular, specific brand of spatula (and opinions about spatulas) that you prefer to use.
(Also, an obsession with scraping)

My life CHANGED when I finally found spatulas with a thin enough edge to properly scrape my containers

Also:
when looking at any edible liquid or puree you think "I can put this in soap? Should I put this in soap?? Ok, but, what if I did???"

Yep! You are the friend I referenced.

Reading this thread I realize I too am obsessed with scraping. Please share details about your life-changing spatula find. Must. Get. Every. Drop.
Also awaiting details of life-changing spatula.

Also, I can't be the only one looking really hard at non-liquid consumables as well. I'm not curious enough to actually try it, and there's got to be a good reason I've never heard of it, but I wonder if gooey, stringy cheese would lend any elasticity to soap. And what's the worst that could happen if a handful of semisweet chocolate chips got melted into my oils? And if rice and rice water makes nice soap, what about potatoes and potato water?
I'm not currently ambitious enough to try soaping any of this, but these are the types of thoughts that run through my head.

I “steal” the chopsticks that ppl dont use at work.
Yeah, chopsticks are great. I used to use them for all sorts of things, often bonsai & houseplant related. Now they they're mostly for soapy stuff. Oh, and of course for eating; I do use them for eating as well, but not the same ones. ;)

Yeah, chopsticks are great. I used to use them for all sorts of things, often bonsai & houseplant related. Now they they're mostly for soapy stuff. Oh, and of course for eating; I do use them for eating as well, but not the same ones. ;)
I go into the breakroom and am like why doesn't any body use chopsticks? Fine. I will take them LOL. I like them for eating too LOL.

I don't know anything about bonsai, but have used them for my orchids. Not as pretty as the green sticks, but they serve their purpose when something pops up unexpectedly.

I have flat-ended skewers, they work good too. I used one to mark a spot on my cheese cutter. So far it is holding up well with some gorilla glue.

I've mostly gotten over my need to accumulate stuff for soap making, except for one thing. My husband sends boxes of fruit from Harry and David to friends and clients. And of course if he orders for others, he orders some for us too.

So what to do with those really nice, sturdy shipping boxes after the fruit is gone? Well, they are PERFECT for curing, storing, and transporting my soap.

I MUST have EVERY box IMMEDIATELY when it's empty. They are mine, ALL MINE! ;) I guard my precious hoard of H&D boxes jealously.

Re: the spatulas, I don't know if it's this particular brand (although it's the brand that was linked to me when I asked another soaper about it) or if it's the size, but the "MOACC" brand of spatula, on Amazon, the 8.5" size has an edge that is thin enough to properly scrape. I haven't tried the 11" size. That's the size my other spatulas are and I find their edge too blunt.

Latest posts

Back