Cone of Shame

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacyspy

Reaction score
My poor dog, Jack, is not amused by his cone...lol...

IMG_20150726_193559.jpg

Poor little guy! I worry about Solomon sometimes. He will worry his paws and forearms, unless he has a chewie. He has one of those and he is fine. He won't go chew other stuff, unless he fits in separation anxiety. Then, he really just makes a huge mess.

So we try real hard NOT to run out of chewies, but he is a pit bull, and I swear I am bout to bring a freakin' car tire in the house, quick as he chews them up.

I hope your baby recovers quickly! I am sure he is MAD at you right now! LOL.

Poor pumpkin. I hate putting the cones on my babes, I always think *they* think I am punishing them :(

ETA: my best friend took a bunch of pics when from when I first got Freddie, as a 7 mo. old, he has a cone on b/c he had just been neutered. He looks so forlorn and sweet. God, dogs are sweet.

Last edited:
I switched to the fabric cone of shame because my dog destroyed too much (including herself) with the hard plastic one. Works soo much better! She looks like a lampshade with legs wearing it though... They are canvas with stiffeners in them, had to order mine online. Blocks the vision more but that actually seemed to cause mine to be calmer :)

Puppy looks so cute!

Nsmar, the fabric ones are genius. The doggies still do not like them, but it is much better, and *you* feel so much less guilty, just doing as much as you can. I would hate if someone put a cone on my head, I just hope my little guys get that is for their own good :)

Itchy spots are terrible. Two of mine broke out in hives a couple years ago, their whole bodies where covered in bumps. Poor miserable little things, had to keep them doped up on allergy meds for a week. Hope your little guy feels better soon.

**update**

He's doing much better with his cone today... He's even figured out that he can hog the food and water simply by dropping his head over the dish...lol...
The fabric cone didn't work out so well for him... the other 2 dogs chewed it off for him... He's stopped running into things, so that's a plus...
On top of that, he's getting slathered with good old CO, and it seems to stop his itching without causing any irritation. The spray the vet gave us causes his skin to get all red and he cries, so I called him today and he said the CO was fine, and that after his skin healed, the spray should keep fleas and ticks away.
Thanks for the concern...my Jack, out of all my fur babies is my favorite-- but don't tell the others--- :)

Other dogs would be an issue with the fabric cone...I did have to spray it with Bitter Yuck because one of the cats was gnawing on it when the dog laid down. That's hilarious that he learned the hogging trick! Hope he's better fast!

My poor dog ended up on a low dose steroid the beginning of this summer, she has an intense flea allergy and after we ended up with fleas after nothing for three years she tore herself up. Cone of shame, tshirt (actually that's all the time now), tied socks on her feet at night... all from a couple little fleas. Steroids aren't much good for them, but at her age the vet said at this point lets just get her comfy. Side effect, seems to help her joints too.

BTW, Listerine helps with itchy skin, it has to be the brown flavor (other ones have sugar in them) and can be the generic. It's an antifungal and has really helped her in the past. I dilute it 50/50 with water and pour it on her and let it dry. Vet ok'd it and it's cheap! Works great on her grass allergy and other "what did you get into" issues. Dogs with very little hair can't afford to lose more LOL.

Other dogs would be an issue with the fabric cone...I did have to spray it with Bitter Yuck because one of the cats was gnawing on it when the dog laid down. That's hilarious that he learned the hogging trick! Hope he's better fast!

My poor dog ended up on a low dose steroid the beginning of this summer, she has an intense flea allergy and after we ended up with fleas after nothing for three years she tore herself up. Cone of shame, tshirt (actually that's all the time now), tied socks on her feet at night... all from a couple little fleas. Steroids aren't much good for them, but at her age the vet said at this point lets just get her comfy. Side effect, seems to help her joints too.

BTW, Listerine helps with itchy skin, it has to be the brown flavor (other ones have sugar in them) and can be the generic. It's an antifungal and has really helped her in the past. I dilute it 50/50 with water and pour it on her and let it dry. Vet ok'd it and it's cheap! Works great on her grass allergy and other "what did you get into" issues. Dogs with very little hair can't afford to lose more LOL.

I have dealt with one of my dogs who has been a skin biter/scratcher since we got him (9 years now I think). Turns out it was a severe flea allergy and its better now that I know but hes still an itchy little dog!

I will have to try the listerine. The vet told me the last time I brought him in for an infaction (Again...) that at this point I should try just about anything and if it works, it works. He always smells yeasty anyway...

Stacy, glad to hear Jack is doing better!!

Ahhhh another Floridian with itchy dog.

You could also try a vinegar rinse. Dilute 50/50 with water , pour on after a bath. Two points, the vinegar is also an antifungal and it gets rid of any shampoo residues that might be drying out/irritating the pups skin. They will smell like a salad for an hour but have shinnnyyy fur. DO NOT get in the eyes, won't hurt the ears (cleans em actually). I just use white vinegar, but apple cider unpasturized would probably be better... but way more $$. Obviously pick either listerine or vinegar dilution to test , not at the same time LOL. Mine's 13 years old, we've tried a lot of things.

A point if you keep bringing the dog to the vet-I fought her skin for years with vets and then one time I took her to a new vet for unrelated (flea killer that almost killed HER, long story) issue he asked about her mangy look. He told me that you need a SIX week course of antibiotics when the skin gets that bad, vs the three week courses. Wrote me a three weeker, said come back and refill, and he was right. Six weeks of that and the rinses and she looked good until the next round of issues. See if your vet will give you a longer course of antibiotics and use the listerine/vinegar rinses to keep the inflammation down...

They don't want to do the longer course. They did give me 50% more antibiotic this time though. It's 750 mg instead of just 500. Seems to be helping more!

I think I'll try the vinegar first since I have that on hand! Thanks for the help and advice!

ooooo what is Bitter Yuck? Would that help me with my cats eating all my electronic cords? I put hotsauce on there but that doesn't deter Lilly. Instead, she just chews anyway and then just pees on my feet when *I* eat (because she chews them when *she* thinks she should be fed...ech)

And the fabric cones could be a great idea should we need one! LOL at the doggers running through the house destroying things...(Put this thing on me, will you?? Show you, I will! Hahah)

I hope sweet Jack is all 100% soon!

Latest posts

Back