Conditioning beard/hair balm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel M.

Reaction score
IMG_20200709_134021140.jpg

I found a beard oil recipe I really liked and added beeswax and Shea butter to it to make beard balm for my husband and his friends. I tried it on my hair and it is perfect, it is not a hair styling wax but also does not leave the hair greasy. Just nice for some conditioning and taming.

I might actually make some of a different scent to send to my sisters, as we all have thick/wavy/coarse hair.

I am searching the forum as we speak for beard balm or beard oil recipes for a wedding gift basket (she asked for soap, he asked for beard balm or beard oil).

Do you mind sharing where you found this recipe? I don't mind buying it if it is behind a paywall. My main concern is to find a good recipe since this will be a one-and-done for me. I don't sell and just want to make this nice, one-time gift. Thanks!

I am searching the forum as we speak for beard balm or beard oil recipes for a wedding gift basket (she asked for soap, he asked for beard balm or beard oil).

Do you mind sharing where you found this recipe? I don't mind buying it if it is behind a paywall. My main concern is to find a good recipe since this will be a one-and-done for me. I don't sell and just want to make this nice, one-time gift. Thanks!

I do not mind at all, I love the breakdown of oils at the top of the post, and I used the same oils that the recipe calls for but I converted them to grams to have a more accurate measurement.

https://www.parsnipsandpastries.com/diy-beard-oil/
Now for turning this into a beard balm, I added:
2 oz of beeswax (56.69 grams)
1 oz of Shea butter (28.35 grams)
5 grams FO
I melted everything together (including all the oils from the beard oil recipe at 3x scale) and it made 9 oz.

It is a pretty hard balm after sitting overnight so I was going to try doing another batch with cutting beeswax down to 1.5 oz of beeswax or just 1 oz.

I bought the black tins, as well as some green bottles for the oil alone on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X18SCYM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_NrGeFbXTSNX26
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076WY9WWG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.sGeFb4TTKTVP
As an added note, I used yellow beeswax and it still ended up that lovely almost white shade. I hope this all helps!

@Rachel M. that is so kind of you - thank you! This is awesome; I have all those ingredients, so now I'm just waiting to hear back from his mom as to what scents he prefers.

Just to make sure I understand, you made a triple batch of the beard oil, and added that to the additional ingredients listed to make it a balm. And you would probably lower the BW to 1.5oz or less. Is that correct?

Thank you again so much. I've read a ton of DIY beard balm recipes on various websites and was looking for something someone had actually tried. And I also have thick, coarse, curly/wavy hair, so I'll be the first tester before I add it to their wedding gift box.

Last edited:
@Rachel M. that is so kind of you - thank you! This is awesome; I have al those ingredients, so now I'm just waiting to hear back from his mom as to what scents he prefers.

Just to make sure I understand, you made a triple batch of the beard oil, and added that to the additional ingredients listed to make it a balm. And you would probably lower the BW to 1.5oz or less. Is that correct?

Thank you again so much. I've read a ton of DIY beard balm recipes on various websites and was looking for something someone had actually tried. And I also have thick, coarse, curly/wavy hair, so I'll be the first tester before I add it to their wedding gift box.

Yes, exactly. On the recipe when you go to print it, there is a spot on the right that you can hit to multiply it 3x. Here is my handwritten notes on the printed recipe though as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20200717_143527750.jpg
    IMG_20200717_143527750.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 39
Back