Conditioning bar needed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used to buy a conditioning bar for my hair from a company that no longer sells them (they say they are too expensive to make). It was the first bar I ever used and I loved how it made my hair feel. Sadly, I forgot my last bar in a hotel. Does anyone know where I can find a similar one or direct me on how to draft a recipe? I’ve listed the ingredients below, from the label. I’d prefer to just buy rather than make them but will make them if I can’t find anything similar. I’ve worked with surfactants a bit but only have a few of the ingredients on hand. I don’t want to buy a lot of unnecessary ingredients since I would only be making it for my family.

Thanks, in advance, for any help or guidance you can offer.

Sharon

Ingredients as listed on label:
Behentrimonium methosulfate cetearyl alcohol
cetyl alcohol
cocoa butter
shea butter
apricot kernel oil
honey
hydrolyzed wheat protein
dimethicone
panthenol
cyclomethicone
fragrance oil.

This is very similar to some of the conditioner bar formulas on HumbleBee and Me. If you click that link, that will take you to a page with all of her conditioner bar recipes that you can scroll through. The first one has only six ingredients, some of which you may have around or can easily buy locally, such as coconut oil and cocoa butter. The rest can be ordered in small quantities from LotionCrafter, Making Cosmetics, etc. BTW, the first ingredient you listed is more commonly known as BTMS-25.

But if you prefer to buy your conditioner bars, a search on Etsy will probably give you something with pretty similar ingredients. Sometimes your local Whole Food store will have solid shampoo and conditioner bars, as well.

Have you tried asking the company for the recipe? If they're not selling it anymore,I hadn’t thought of that.

I hadn’t thought of that. Thank you for that suggestion!

I didn’t realize Humblebee and Me had haircare recipes. I’ve used some of her recipes for other things. I love her dish paste! I’ll check there. Thanks!

The Spirit Goat has a Conditioning Bar with those ingredients.

Thank you! I’ll check into that one, too.

I used to buy a conditioning bar for my hair from a company that no longer sells them (they say they are too expensive to make). It was the first bar I ever used and I loved how it made my hair feel. Sadly, I forgot my last bar in a hotel. Does anyone know where I can find a similar one or direct me on how to draft a recipe? I’ve listed the ingredients below, from the label. I’d prefer to just buy rather than make them but will make them if I can’t find anything similar. I’ve worked with surfactants a bit but only have a few of the ingredients on hand. I don’t want to buy a lot of unnecessary ingredients since I would only be making it for my family.

Sharon

cetyl alcohol
cocoa butter
shea butter
apricot kernel oil
honey
hydrolyzed wheat protein
dimethicone
panthenol
cyclomethicone
fragrance oil.

My hair conditioning bar only has 4 ingredients. BTM 25, Cetyl alcohol, Coco butter, and a nourishing oil of my choice. I do add in a fragrance oil, but use it sparingly.

Edit to add: I don't use any chemicals I can avoid - as we have freaky sensitive skin at our house. My bars are 3.3g on average and fit the palm of your hand comfortably. I sell them for $10.00 US and they come with a short zip-loc round, screw top lid. This keeps them dry and safe from too much moisture when not in use.

Last edited:
@Kiti Williams I tried using containers like that, but found that the bar stayed wet after use unless I left it out to air dry. Since it's just DH and I using the shower, I leave the conditioning bar on a soap drainer in a corner that doesn't get much, if any, shower spray. It seems to do better being exposed to the air between uses. But I can see if you are selling it, a container is a good idea.

@Kiti Williams I tried using containers like that, but found that the bar stayed wet after use unless I left it out to air dry. Since it's just DH and I using the shower, I leave the conditioning bar on a soap drainer in a corner that doesn't get much, if any, shower spray. It seems to do better being exposed to the air between uses. But I can see if you are selling it, a container is a good idea.

You can put some plastic canvas under it, but I just leave the lid off for a few hours.

Sharon

cetyl alcohol
cocoa butter
shea butter
apricot kernel oil
honey
hydrolyzed wheat protein
dimethicone
panthenol
cyclomethicone
fragrance oil.
My hair conditioning bar only has 4 ingredients. BTM 25, Cetyl alcohol, Coco butter, and a nourishing oil of my choice

Sharon

cetyl alcohol
cocoa butter
shea butter
apricot kernel oil
honey
hydrolyzed wheat protein
dimethicone
panthenol
cyclomethicone
fragrance oil.
My hair conditioning bar only has 4 ingredients. BTM 25, Cetyl alcohol, Coco butter, and a nourishing oil of my choice

Back