Conditioner recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desirae

Reaction score
Does anyone know have a good recipe there willing to share? My hair is very course and I want to try the all natural method and would like to try making a conditioner but don't know where to start on creating a recipe for making conditioner. ( yes this only be used on myself and no-one else)

This site is really helpful for things like that: http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2009/03/conditioner.html and I plan to make that normal hair conditioner from that page. But her recipe for solid conditioners is really nice too, I've tried one in a swap and love it.
I'm not sure what you mean by "all natural" since everything is a chemical. I guess you could do hot oil treatments or even use mayonnaise, but I find those awful for my fine thin hair. I know some like them, but I need a detangler! Dilute apple cider vinegar is a nice rinse, but it's definitely not a conditioner.

This is a very basic conditioner that's quick and easy to make. Once you try it you can tweak it to your heart's delight with various oils, additives and botanical extracts.

ZANY'S CONDITIONER WITH LEMON

Ingredients: Water, lemon juice, coconut oil, conditioning emulsifier, preservative, botanical extracts, fragrance.

Makes 200 grams = approx. 8 oz.

178 grams water (89%)
8 grams (2 tsp.) Realemon lemon juice (4%)
6 grams coconut oil (3%)
8 grams BTMS (Conditioning Emulsifier) (4%)

1 gram (1/4 tsp.) Liquid Germall Plus (0.5%)
1/2 teaspoon fragrance

This site is really helpful for things like that: http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2009/03/conditioner.html and I plan to make that normal hair conditioner from that page. But her recipe for solid conditioners is really nice too, I've tried one in a swap and love it.
I'm not sure what you mean by "all natural" since everything is a chemical. I guess you could do hot oil treatments or even use mayonnaise, but I find those awful for my fine thin hair. I know some like them, but I need a detangler! Dilute apple cider vinegar is a nice rinse, but it's definitely not a conditioner.

Thank you for the direct link I will be reading it today for sure, thank you

This is a very basic conditioner that's quick and easy to make. Once you try it you can tweak it to your heart's delight with various oils, additives and botanical extracts.

ZANY'S CONDITIONER WITH LEMON

Ingredients: Water, lemon juice, coconut oil, conditioning emulsifier, preservative, botanical extracts, fragrance.

Makes 200 grams = approx. 8 oz.

178 grams water (89%)
8 grams (2 tsp.) Realemon lemon juice (4%)
6 grams coconut oil (3%)
8 grams BTMS (Conditioning Emulsifier) (4%)

1 gram (1/4 tsp.) Liquid Germall Plus (0.5%)
1/2 teaspoon fragrance

That looks easy enough to make ,thanks I'll try that one tonight. Do you know what are the best oils to use for very course oily hair, or any particular oils I should avoid bc of my hair type?

the BTMS is an emulsifying wax. You would need to melt it and the coconut oil together, and then when you add it to the water it will create what is in essence a very light lotion.

o shoot had not seen BMTS in it, :silent: yes it is the one I use all the time.........
btw I had seen fractioned CO in costco today, anyone uses it in kitchen? I use regular CO but sometimes it would be good to have liquid oil, it is cheaper than avocado oil

What oils are best to avoid when making conditioner for course oily hair?

That's hard to say. We're all different. I think we each need to answer that question for ourselves. It's really a matter of trial and error. What works for me may not work for you, and vice versa. I once had a soaper ask me to make a 100% almond oil LS shampoo for her. I was skeptical -- I suggested a little coconut oil and castor in the formula, but she wanted nothin' but almond oil. I made it, I tried it, and I was totally surprised by what a good shampoo it made, nice head of lather and all. Just goes to show -- ya nevah know until you try it.

PS: I once read that Jackie Kennedy slathered herself in almond oil every night before going to bed.

I use regular CO but sometimes it would be good to have liquid oil, it is cheaper than avocado oil
I don't remember which thread it was, but "liquid coconut oil" came up in a discussion recently... it seems to be showing up on grocers shelves. If you do a google search you'll get lots of links to check out. I'm sure it's appearing because so many people are cooking with it these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back