Conditioner bar recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunatly in my experiance, a conditioner bar has to be specific for your hair type to get best results. Unless your one of the few lucky ones who can use anything and have fab hair..So sharing a recipe that works for me may not work for you.
Example. My dry hair bars contain BTMS, cetyl, mango butter/mct/rosehip with oat protien, honeyquat, CETAC, silicone sub and chamomile extract etc
My oily hair bar BTMS 25/50 mix, cetyl, lil shea/fract CO/argan with honeyquat, CETAC, marshmellow extract, silicone sub and chamomile etc.
I have Swift crafty monkey's 2 books plus Bespokes shampoo and conditioners book(much perfer Susans SCM). From those and reading lots if blogs I learnt the why you add what etc. And what each hair type likes.
Having said that evey ones hair is different, our water softness additives etc are different. So long story short if your serious about making good shampoo and conditioner bars its a steep learning curve but a great journey.

I understand.. I thought it was going to be like following a recipe book, but now I know that a little of this or that added or omitted can completely change the formula - I guess that recipes ARE a bit like that too... I don't think I have the budget to buy all the things I may need.. Susan's ebooks are incredible, but it is like going down a rabbit hole for me... I am just going to stick to the easier stuff!

Hi Glendam! I may just stick to my lotion style conditioner and make shampoo bars only. I always use L'Oreal's 'extreme repair' (I think that is what it is called) and it rinses out so lovely. I can't imagine swiping a bar over my head and getting the same results. I do love the shampoo/body wash bars from SwiftCrafty though. Even though I am new to this game the shampoo bars are lovely with lots of lather and bubbles. I may look into making a liquid conditioner if you think this works.. thanks again
You are welcome. Btw, I remembered that I have heard good things about a conditioner bar for curly hair, from a company in Canada. I have not tried it myself though, but maybe you can see what ingredients they have if you decide to go that route, or better yet, maybe you could buy the bar itself to try and see if it is worthy. Just a thought. Here is the link:
https://unwrappedlife.com/products/the-hydrator

Good Morning Glendam. I checked out the bars on the site you mentioned. Doesn't seem much in there that's 'special'. Lots of essential oils, I bet it smells gorgeous. $35 for a bar though! Wow. I recognize the names of the ingredients so maybe I'm learning something...

I made a shaving bar and a couple of body/hair wash bars last night and added a bit more of the hardening ingredient as the last ones were making a bit of a sloppy mess in the shower. They are harder so I'm happier. Just have to try them out now!
You are welcome. Btw, I remembered that I have heard good things about a conditioner bar for curly hair, from a company in Canada. I have not tried it myself though, but maybe you can see what ingredients they have if you decide to go that route, or better yet, maybe you could buy the bar itself to try and see if it is worthy. Just a thought. Here is the link:

Good Morning Glendam. I checked out the bars on the site you mentioned. Doesn't seem much in there that's 'special'. Lots of essential oils, I bet it smells gorgeous. $35 for a bar though! Wow. I recognize the names of the ingredients so maybe I'm learning something...

I made a shaving bar and a couple of body/hair wash bars last night and added a bit more of the hardening ingredient as the last ones were making a bit of a sloppy mess in the shower. They are harder so I'm happier. Just have to try them out now!
$35!!!! wow, I did not even look at the price before, I would not have suggested it if I did, but yes, hopefully it gives you ideas on the ingredients. Congrats on the body bars, I did have that issue once, with them disintegrating in my hands.

$35!!!! wow, I did not even look at the price before, I would not have suggested it if I did, but yes, hopefully it gives you ideas on the ingredients. Congrats on the body bars, I did have that issue once, with them disintegrating in my hands.
Yes $35 is a bit steep isn't it??!! My bars are still a tiny bit soft, but a lot better than before.. I've got a long way to go!

I am from canada and have tried unwrapped life. It is what got me started on my own shampoo bar which i made and love. My hair is curly and coarse and colored. Now i have to make a conditioner bar. My stylist tells me that curly hair needs heavy conditioning so hopefully i can come ip with something. Read what unwrapped life outs in theirs and work out your own process. I haven’t done the conditioner yet otherwise i would share

I used the hard conditioner bar recipe from DIY Bath and Body on Etsy. I love it! The recipes are $10 each, or 3 for $25. Every recipe I have tried so far is wonderful. I believe @Misschief and @violets2217 also have good success with these recipes.

ETA: @Gaisy59 I also have curly, coarse, and colored hair. Mine is also low-porosity, which does make a difference as to what type of conditioner you want. For instance, too much protein doesn't work well for low-porosity hair.

Fortunately, the recipe listed above is easily customizable with different ingredients as needed.

I used the hard conditioner bar recipe from DIY Bath and Body on Etsy. I love it! The recipes are $10 each, or 3 for $25. Every recipe I have tried so far is wonderful. I believe @Misschief and @violets2217 also have good success with these recipes.
Lol! I was going to post this but I felt like I would be like a pushy salesperson! Our whole house is definitely in love with the easy to follow shampoo and conditioner bars recipes from the DIYbathandbodyshop on Etsy (actually most of her recipes are pretty awesome)! My daughter’s curly frizzy heat damaged hair is looking so much better! It is an expensive endeavor... but honestly I feel it’s worth it! Even just for personal use! I feel like I will recuperate the cost in the amount we would spend on all the different hair care products we would usually buy!
Good Luck @KayTheBrummy ... it is an overwhelming amount of information and searching... but worth it!

ETA: @Gaisy59 I also have curly, coarse, and colored hair. Mine is also low-porosity, which does make a difference as to what type of conditioner you want. For instance, too much protein doesn't work well for low-porosity hair.

Fortunately, the recipe listed above is easily customizable with different ingredients as needed.
How do i know what porosity my hair is 😳

Yes $35 is a bit steep isn't it??!! My bars are still a tiny bit soft, but a lot better than before.. I've got a long way to go!

Mine has 3 main ingredents and them the FO come in.

30%, 15g Cocoa Butter
30%, 15g BTMS 50
20%, 10g Cetyl Alcohol
20%, 10g Nourishing oils (Jojoba, Argon, Sweet Almond, ect.
A few drops of Tea Tree oil, and whatever you like as a sent. I use Jasmine and Sandalwood the most.

In a glass beaker/cup that can be set in a water bath on the stove top, Put in the fist 3 ingredients and heat until all is melted and clear. Add in your oil and Tea Tree ,FO. mix well and pour into you molds. This will make 50g of conditioner bar.

You can use it dry - for split ends and quick hair pick me up, or wet - running it through all the damaged areas, rinse well after letting it sit in the hair for 5 to 10 min.

Mine has 3 main ingredents and them the FO come in.

30%, 15g Cocoa Butter
30%, 15g BTMS 50
20%, 10g Cetyl Alcohol
A few drops of Tea Tree oil, and whatever you like as a sent. I use Jasmine and Sandalwood the most.

In a glass beaker/cup that can be set in a water bath on the stove top, Put in the fist 3 ingredients and heat until all is melted and clear. Add in your oil and Tea Tree ,FO. mix well and pour into you molds. This will make 50g of conditioner bar.

You can use it dry - for split ends and quick hair pick me up, or wet - running it through all the damaged areas, rinse well after letting it sit in the hair for 5 to 10 min.
Ohhh thanks for that! On my agenda this weekend.

How do i know what porosity my hair is 😳

Hair Porosity Test

I will warn you - that site is a rabbit hole for curly-haired people. Also, I don't know if they remember to say that you must be sure to test using hair that has been freshly washed, preferably with a clarifying shampoo if you tend to use a lot of products. Otherwise, you will think you have low-porosity hair when in fact the products have just sealed up the hair shaft so water does not penetrate easily.

I am from canada and have tried unwrapped life. It is what got me started on my own shampoo bar which i made and love. My hair is curly and coarse and colored. Now i have to make a conditioner bar. My stylist tells me that curly hair needs heavy conditioning so hopefully i can come ip with something. Read what unwrapped life outs in theirs and work out your own process. I haven’t done the conditioner yet otherwise i would share
I tried making a couple of conditioner bars, (Tried the recipes from Humblebee and me) and while I liked them some, once I went back to the lotion like conditioner I made, it was a big difference. I do the curly hair method though, which means I rinse very little of the conditioner out.

It doesn't seem that expensive to me - I went to that site and 1 shampoo bar + 1 conditioner bar is $29. I don't see the $35 bar you are speaking out.

30%, 15g Cocoa Butter
30%, 15g BTMS 50
20%, 10g Cetyl Alcohol
Made this today... just made 2 ounces with a new FO. Used 10% jojoba & 10% kokum butter. Thanks for the recipe! Can’t wait to try it. I’m most excited just because it’s about 15% less expensive to make than my first recipe.

Made this today... just made 2 ounces with a new FO. Used 10% jojoba & 10% kokum butter. Thanks for the recipe! Can’t wait to try it. I’m most excited just because it’s about 15% less expensive to make than my first recipe.

What is really nice is you can make more with very little need for math. I make up a triple batch and it will fill 6 of the domed flower molds with a bit left over.

Back