Conditioner bar recipe for dandruff anyone?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shiningdown

Reaction score
Hello,
I've been trying to find a more natural alternative to store bought conditioners, but for a sensitive scalp. I have been making soap for several years, but have never tried a conditioner bar. Researching the web has left me confused and without answers. I then remembered that I have access to the best soapers in one place, here! I would greatly appreciate any recipe or advice you can give me. The recipe does not have to be a bar, I'm just so tired of paying an arm and a leg for dandruff products that barely seem to help. My hair is colored, dry ends, oily roots, bad scalp. No skin allergies.

First off, you don't need to condition all the way down to your scalp. If you're going to use a conditioner, you only need to use it on the ends, or from your ears down depending on the length of your hair.

What kind of shampoo are you using?

What @Misschief says is true - shampoo is for the scalp, and conditioner is for the hair. See if you can find a shampoo that deals with the dandruff.
Not a doctor but recent reading on the matter leads me to believe that dandruff could be candida/fungus related. Ingredients like neem oil, tea tree oil, and aloe vera could be good additions to your shampoo bar as is reducing sugar from your diet.
Neem oil is a bit stinky, so I'm not sure how you would add it to a shampoo bar - but aloe vera can be added as a powder and tea tree could be used as the EO fragrance?

First off, you don't need to condition all the way down to your scalp. If you're going to use a conditioner, you only need to use it on the ends, or from your ears down depending on the length of your hair.

What kind of shampoo are you using?
I am currently using Nizoral, its a dandruff/psoriasis shampoo. I don't usually rub conditioner into my scalp, but i do need to get conditioner on the sides and lower back, normal conditioners always seem to cause a "flare up" so I wind up having to get expensive conditioners, still looking for one that won't irritate my scalp so much. Mind you, even getting a little bit on any part of my scalp is bothersome. This usually happens during rinsing.

What @Misschief says is true - shampoo is for the scalp, and conditioner is for the hair. See if you can find a shampoo that deals with the dandruff.
Not a doctor but recent reading on the matter leads me to believe that dandruff could be candida/fungus related. Ingredients like neem oil, tea tree oil, and aloe vera could be good additions to your shampoo bar as is reducing sugar from your diet.
Neem oil is a bit stinky, so I'm not sure how you would add it to a shampoo bar - but aloe vera can be added as a powder and tea tree could be used as the EO fragrance?
thank you for your timely response! The recipes that I have read sound like they have a tendency to leave hair greasy and many ppl complain about not being able to get the goo from their hair after many washes. Not sure if this is from using too much or using low quality ingredients. Hoping its one of those, because those reasons are easy to remedy. Lol. Do you happen to know a full recipe? I can tweak if needed.

Humblebee & Me has a variety of conditioner bar recipes that have good reviews. You can find them here.

I have a very sensitive scalp, as well as very dry, curly, colored hair that requires conditioning from roots to tips. My favorite solid conditioner bar is based on a paid recipe from Etsy, found here.

As AliOop said, HumbleBeeandme has hair conditioning recipes. I have sensitive scalp and make the Rose Hair leave in conditioner. Bending over while putting conditioner on hair keeps it from running onto scalp. A tiny bit goes a long way. You can add scent or not.

Keeping your hair trimmed regularly may be your best answer. As I have mentioned many times, conditioning is only a bandaid, not a fix since hair is dead. It really sounds like you are having an allergic reaction to a particular ingredient in the conditioners when they get on your scalp, which would take an allergist to figure out with testing. The first place to start would be to check the ingredient list on the conditioners you have tried and find the ingredient common to all of them. It could be the preservative system used. Even if you make your own you want to determine if it is a certain additive or preservative you are allergic to.

If you have a lotion you can use you can actually use a small amount rubbed on your hands and applied on your hair or a mix of shea, castor and a small amount of emulsifier makes a nice conditioner when applied lightly, black castor oil work really nice. Conditioner is actually a lotion with a few additives. The Shea formula takes no preservative and the emulsifier helps it wash out.

EDA: I used to buy a product similar to the Shea I posted from a market from a maker that made products for African American Hair.

Keeping your hair trimmed regularly may be your best answer. As I have mentioned many times, conditioning is only a bandaid, not a fix since hair is dead. It really sounds like you are having an allergic reaction to a particular ingredient in the conditioners when they get on your scalp, which would take an allergist to figure out with testing. The first place to start would be to check the ingredient list on the conditioners you have tried and find the ingredient common to all of them. It could be the preservative system used. Even if you make your own you want to determine if it is a certain additive or preservative you are allergic to.

If you have a lotion you can use you can actually use a small amount rubbed on your hands and applied on your hair or a mix of shea, castor and a small amount of emulsifier makes a nice conditioner when applied lightly, black castor oil work really nice. Conditioner is actually a lotion with a few additives. The Shea formula takes no preservative and the emulsifier helps it wash out.

EDA: I used to buy a product similar to the Shea I posted from a market from a maker that made products for African American Hair.
I've never thought about this! Most all of the standard store bought conditioners are problematic. The only ones that I don't react to are the ones that are for dandruff or psoriasis. Some of them aren't so great as well. That is a great idea! I will definitely take a look!! Thank you!!

As AliOop said, HumbleBeeandme has hair conditioning recipes. I have sensitive scalp and make the Rose Hair leave in conditioner. Bending over while putting conditioner on hair keeps it from running onto scalp. A tiny bit goes a long way. You can add scent or not.
I was wondering which one to try first and you just helped me with that, thank you!!

All of the shampoos are made with zinc pirithione. It requires FDA approval to sell so I don't suggest selling. But you can buy and make some for yourself, there's some on Etsy. For conditioner, I reformulated mine recently. Conditioner isn't really for your scalp, it's for your hair, but I highly recommend adding a bit of apple cider vinegar (removes buildup) and marshmallow root (gives your hair slip, helping with tangles) to your conditioner.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/849734...849734611&click_sum=7aebce0d&ref=user_profile

I would avoid any conditioner formulas with Olive Oil as it reported to be "food" for the yeasts that cause dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis.

Treating Seborrheic Dermatitis with Olive Oil – SkinDrone

I used to use Nizoral but after changing to making my own Shampoo bars with SCI and SLSa and Conditioner bars with BTMS my scalp seems to be "under control".

@Shiningdown, I used Nizoral for awhile also (for scalp psoriasis.) I did not particularly like it and after one bottle of it (expensive prescription as I recall), I switched to another that my doctor recommended that worked better for me, although it did tint my white hair an unattractive orangey-yellow shade. Since then, however, my dermatologist started me on Humira (an injectable) and it has cleared up the psoriasis completely, so I don't need those awful shampoos anymore.

Anyway, I had a really hard time finding a conditioner that my skin could tolerate. Many attempts to find one that didn't make my skin turn blotchy red & itchy was a terrible ordeal over the years. Someone here actually suggested Suave conditioner, which she had found (after some personal research for herself) to be mild and less likely to aggravate sensitive skin. So I tired it and it left my skin reaction-free, so that's what I used for quite a while (4 or 5 years perhaps). I was quite surprised than an inexpensive brand that's been around for decades and which I had apparently never even considered trying was the answer.

These days, I use a different shampoo & conditioner, but remain quite watchful for any sort of reaction because those red blotchy welts were unbearable.

I would greatly appreciate any recipe or advice you can give me.
My hair is colored, dry ends, oily roots, bad scalp. No skin allergies.
This is a little off the wall, but you may want to try Polysorbate 80. I sometimes use it as shampoo, or as a clarifier to remove any product build-up before shampooing. You will be amazed at how soft and shiny it leaves your hair. It's a good thing.

Even if it doesn't work for you, there are many other uses for it -- it won't go to waste.

NOTE: I have recommended this to others with scalp issues and it seemed to clear up the problem. :)

Back