Concussion ;/

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meena

Reaction score
Just wanted you all to know that I'm being a bad girl right now, reading the Forum, because I got diagnosed with a concussion yesterday (happened wee hours of Saturday aka Friday night) and have been ordered: Rest, NO screen time (computers, tv, etc), and not even to read a book!! Through the end of the week!!! OMG, what do they think I'm supposed to DO with all this sideline time??!??!? The 3 days off of work is nice, but I can't think of what to use the time for with such severe restrictions... [I could try my first CP batch, IF I had been able to find Lye in this wretched part of town].

Anyway, wanted you to know why you may not see me much ... or maybe you will anyway, since I am finding all of YOU and this subject Irresistible!! :D

Yikes! That's going to be difficult. I hope you're set up to enjoy some audio books; if not it should at least be a quick screen time thing to help you resist even more screen time. While its not everyone's cup of tea; my young one and I enjoy listening to old radio programs like The Shadow and Fibber McGee and Molly (who are hilarious! ) There's a free app at Google Play.

Take care of your brain!

Just wanted you all to know that I'm being a bad girl right now, reading the Forum, because I got diagnosed with a concussion yesterday (happened wee hours of Saturday aka Friday night) and have been ordered: Rest, NO screen time (computers, tv, etc), and not even to read a book!! Through the end of the week!!! OMG, what do they think I'm supposed to DO with all this sideline time??!??!? The 3 days off of work is nice, but I can't think of what to use the time for with such severe restrictions... [I could try my first CP batch, IF I had been able to find Lye in this wretched part of town].

Anyway, wanted you to know why you may not see me much ... or maybe you will anyway, since I am finding all of YOU and this subject Irresistible!! :D
Check mercantile and feed stores. They have them. I know the Co-Op up here in Brighton has lye, but I know you are down south. Reach out to Cee aka @Zany_in_CO - she might know of a place you can get it locally.

Check mercantile and feed stores. They have them. I know the Co-Op up here in Brighton has lye, but I know you are down south. Reach out to Cee aka @Zany_in_CO - she might know of a place you can get it locally.

Thank you! I believe Cee had told me Ace and/or the big box hardware stores, but neither carries 100% lye anymore (at least, not in this 'hood). I'll reach out again for new suggestions because the more I think about it, this might be the perfect opportunity to get my feet wet (finally)! I do Not do well with boredom!! :)

Yikes! That's going to be difficult. I hope you're set up to enjoy some audio books; if not it should at least be a quick screen time thing to help you resist even more screen time. While its not everyone's cup of tea; my young one and I enjoy listening to old radio programs like The Shadow and Fibber McGee and Molly (who are hilarious! ) There's a free app at Google Play.

Take care of your brain!

Thanks for the wonderful advice, lenarenee! I'm about to go rest for a bit, again...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear. Mama always told me nothing good ever happens after midnight but I had to find out for myself. Seems she was quite often a smart, savvy lady. Anyway, the guy pictured below recommends a lot of good music, plenty of munchies and since you're in Colorado, legal self medication in the form of a certain legal green plant. Still, three days is a lot of music and munchies so I think the audio books and soap making sound better. The old radio programs are great and bring back memories. Hope your recovery goes well.
bill.jpg

since you're in Colorado, legal self medication in the form of a certain legal green plant.
I love how this is often the very first thing that people think of when they hear Colorado, even though we weren't the first and are not the only state to have legal recreational marijuana. :)
(I voted for legalization and now truly regret it, as it has basically ruined our state - 80,000 new residents in 2017 alone! we are busting at the seams!!)

Hi Meena - I am so sorry you have a concussion - I have been told that cool cloths on forehead and neck at 5 min max every 1/2 hour is very helpful - but also meditation and visualizations of your healthy working brain - hoping you are better soon

Sorry to hear. Mama always told me nothing good ever happens after midnight but I had to find out for myself. Seems she was quite often a smart, savvy lady. Anyway, the guy pictured below recommends a lot of good music, plenty of munchies and since you're in Colorado, legal self medication in the form of a certain legal green plant. Still, three days is a lot of music and munchies so I think the audio books and soap making sound better. The old radio programs are great and bring back memories. Hope your recovery goes well.
View attachment 34937

Your posts always cheer me up dennis just never what i expect to hear or see :) im surprised you can even be sensible ;)

Dare i ask how you got concussion? I went to work with a cut up face after having a rather aggressive fight with a tree and the ground when i went otb on my mountain bike. Didnt realise how bad my face looked apparently i just didnt look in the mirror that morning and got sent to the docs as soon as my boss turned up because she thought i probably had concussion the injuries were minor compared to the 5-6 mile limp home from the place i crashed because my glasses got well and truely smashed up so couldnt see well enough to ride back. Fyi dennis this happened before midnight so im sorry that blows your theory out the water at least this once :rolleyes:. Never got told to have rest or not use screens though pretty sure i just slept because i had the worse headache iv ever experienced. Still got the scar next to my mouth to remind me of my lack of biking skills lol not really sure why im typing this, maybe it will just remind you your not alone :(

I love how this is often the very first thing that people think of when they hear Colorado, even though we weren't the first and are not the only state to have legal recreational marijuana. :)
(I voted for legalization and now truly regret it, as it has basically ruined our state - 80,000 new residents in 2017 alone! we are busting at the seams!!)

Yes, I'm sure there are big changes, not all good. I'm already seeing changes in Florida since medical marijuana was legalized and is a mess due to political wrangling. My part of the state is being discovered but south and central Florida have been busting at the seams for years. We still have our old Florida look in so many places.

Fyi this happened before midnight so im sorry that blows your theory out the water at least this once :rolleyes:. Never got told to have rest or not use screens though pretty sure i just slept because i had the worse headache iv ever experienced. Still got the scar next to my mouth to remind me of my lack of biking skills lol not really sure why im typing this, maybe it will just remind you your not alone :(

Sorry to hear about the crash. I, Dennis, in my varied cycling experiences covering many thousands of fun miles, did once encounter a most impressive pine tree on a downhill run and did challenge it. The tree won, as they most often do.

Yes, I'm sure there are big changes, not all good. I'm already seeing changes in Florida since medical marijuana was legalized and is a mess due to political wrangling. My part of the state is being discovered but south and central Florida have been busting at the seams for years. We still have our old Florida look in so many places.
Don't get me wrong, our state is awesome, it's just that due to marijuana (among other things of course, but that being the main crux of it) our state's infrastructure has not been able to keep up with the volume of people. Period.
Since 2016, (a mere 2 years after the legalization) our homeless population has quadrupled, our un- and underemployment rates have gone up at least 2 full percent points, and our schools and highway systems haven't seen even a fraction of the revenue promised due to the sale of pot.
And I guess I stand corrected. Us and Washington state were actually the first states to legalize recreational marijuana, whereas California was the first to legalize medical marijuana.

And now I will get off my proverbial soap box. LOL I love our state and will never leave, so I guess it doesn't really matter. :)

Don't get me wrong, our state is awesome, it's just that due to marijuana (among other things of course, but that being the main crux of it) our state's infrastructure has not been able to keep up with the volume of people. Period.
Since 2016, (a mere 2 years after the legalization) our homeless population has quadrupled, our un- and underemployment rates have gone up at least 2 full percent points, and our schools and highway systems haven't seen even a fraction of the revenue promised due to the sale of pot.
And I guess I stand corrected. Us and Washington state were actually the first states to legalize recreational marijuana, whereas California was the first to legalize medical marijuana.

And now I will get off my proverbial soap box. LOL I love our state and will never leave, so I guess it doesn't really matter. :)
Stay on your soapbox. People need to consider many things when making changes. I knew the tax situation was not as good as expected and a lot will be better when the politicians in DC get their act together and change some drug laws. It's probably worse in your area than in rural areas (assuming, I don't know) but as I said in another thread today, Colorado is a beautiful state with so much to offer. The outdoor recreation offerings are outstanding. I love it there.

Stay on your soapbox. People need to consider many things when making changes. I knew the tax situation was not as good as expected and a lot will be better when the politicians in DC get their act together and change some drug laws. It's probably worse in your area than in rural areas (assuming, I don't know) but as I said in another thread today, Colorado is a beautiful state with so much to offer. The outdoor recreation offerings are outstanding. I love it there.
I'm on that thread too! LOL

Yeah, Leadville is one of my favorite places of all time to be. There is a lake there called Turquoise Lake. Fishing, hiking, camping, backpacking. I love it. Here are just a few google pics of the place. I have pics of my own that out do these, but they are on my home computer.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=...XFx4MKHYCoDakQ4lYIKSgA&biw=1680&bih=959&dpr=1

Mama always told me nothing good ever happens after midnight but I had to find out for myself.
View attachment 34937

:lol:

Your posts always cheer me up dennis just never what i expect to hear or see :) im surprised you can even be sensible ;)

Dare i ask how you got concussion? I went to work with a cut up face after having a rather aggressive fight with a tree and the ground when i went otb on my mountain bike. Never got told to have rest or not use screens though pretty sure i just slept because i had the worse headache iv ever experienced.

I have blackout curtains on the BR window AND doorway. Misjudged the doorway returning from the bathroom. Thought i was stepping THROUGH the door but instead strode right into the metal doorframe with my eyebrow bone at a decent forward lunge. :D

They take brain injuries a ton more seriously now than they used to. I had 2 TBIs between age 16 and 24 (pre-1981), and nothing was done with them - no special exams, no checking for concussion, ziltch. Nowadays, with a headache like you described, you'd probably be monitored in a hospital.

Get well soon Meena :)

I'm very surprised to hear this. Legalising wacky backy is coming up on our political agenda right now, and I spent HOURS trying to explain to Mum and her husband how legalising it won't necessarily increase the use of it, but it will decrease the amount of crime that surrounds it. I don't touch the stuff personally, but am all for legalisation. Anyhoo - the fact that your population has increased to take advantage of legalisation is something I would never have even thought of. Luckily we don't have states, so if the law is changed, it changes for the whole country.

I'm on that thread too! LOL

Yeah, Leadville is one of my favorite places of all time to be. There is a lake there called Turquoise Lake. Fishing, hiking, camping, backpacking. I love it. Here are just a few google pics of the place. I have pics of my own that out do these, but they are on my home computer.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&tbm=isch&q=Turquoise+Lake&chips=q:turquoise+lake,g_1:leadville:ZpUKqcLwKsg=&usg=AI4_-kR0Kp2--8ReMAJQGEg0mAEegK8yVw&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiz85aJyuHfAhXFx4MKHYCoDakQ4lYIKSgA&biw=1680&bih=959&dpr=1
Wow! Beautiful! My son wants to work in Colorado as a design engineer for one of the bicycle component companies there. I hope he gets on with them before I'm moved to "the home". That will make even longer visits a reality.

I'm very surprised to hear this. Legalising wacky backy is coming up on our political agenda right now, and I spent HOURS trying to explain to Mum and her husband how legalising it won't necessarily increase the use of it, but it will decrease the amount of crime that surrounds it. I don't touch the stuff personally, but am all for legalisation. Anyhoo - the fact that your population has increased to take advantage of legalisation is something I would never have even thought of. Luckily we don't have states, so if the law is changed, it changes for the whole country.
It might decrease crime. There are always people who want to escape taxation or other rules. Fact of life, no escape. If it had been legalized nationally here in the states I don't think problems would be as great, or maybe not as concentrated in only a few areas, but you have to remember that nothing is perfect, and there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. I see NZ has passed laws on people from outside the country buying homes due to the escalating home prices caused by so much money from China and elsewhere being invested in real estate. NZ citizens are finding it difficult to buy.

Oh my. :oops: Meena I fear we (I) have highjacked your thread. My apologies. OK, folks, Meena is trying to reduce screen time on Drs orders. We should help. Get well soon. :thumbs:

What happened here, because we were only 1 of 3 states at the very beginning, and the other 2 states are rainy dreary states, people would come here specifically to get it. Then once they got here they realized they needed to get a job, to get money to buy it, but because EVERYBODY else came here at the same time, there were no jobs, so they would end up stuck here, with no job, no money to leave, and end up on the streets. Those that could afford to stay bought up the real estate at such a fast rate that it drove the prices up enormously, so now an average, nothing fancy, no frills attached in a not so great neighborhood house is no less than $300k, where the average is right around $500k, to buy. Our infrastructure was just not prepared for it. At all.

IF (IMO that is) it were to have been legalized nation wide, all at the same time, instead of state by state, here and there, things would have been better and it would have stabilized much sooner and the few states at the beginning wouldn't have seen such an influx in such a short amount of time.

Since you aren't supposed to read, how about pod casts? I like the app Pod Bean a lot. I am super into a pod cast called My Dad Wrote a P @ rn @ right now. This guy's father wrote a DREADFUL "er@tic" novel = so this guy and his 2 friends read a chapter a week and make fun of it. It got VERY big and has guest stars - including Elijah Wood. Definitely raunchy, though.

In a non-raunchy vein, I like "Stuff You Should Know." They pick a random topic and discuss it. Topics include crayons and Attila the Hun.

What happened here, because we were only 1 of 3 states at the very beginning, and the other 2 states are rainy dreary states, people would come here specifically to get it. Then once they got here they realized they needed to get a job, to get money to buy it, but because EVERYBODY else came here at the same time, there were no jobs, so they would end up stuck here, with no job, no money to leave, and end up on the streets.

IF (IMO that is) it were to have been legalized nation wide, all at the same time, instead of state by state, here and there, things would have been better and it would have stabilized much sooner and the few states at the beginning wouldn't have seen such an influx in such a short amount of time.

A lot of those folks on the street are probably finding out that the old saying "Pot will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no pot" might sound cute but can be tough to live.

Whoops! I did it again. Highjacked. Sorry. Heal, Meena!

Sorry to hear about the crash. I, Dennis, in my varied cycling experiences covering many thousands of fun miles, did once encounter a most impressive pine tree on a downhill run and did challenge it. The tree won, as they most often do.

They do tend to hurt alot when they win said fights dont they i got told i looked like id done a round with mike tyson in the ring lol might be coincidence but i have a cat i named tyson after that very boxer and his brother is called bruno after big Frankey Bruno maybe thats where i got the idea lol I dont ride anymore i go to the gym instead but i used to ride at least every other day my bike cost about £1800 so i wont sell it as i one day hope to get back on it and riding again.

I have blackout curtains on the BR window AND doorway. Misjudged the doorway returning from the bathroom. Thought i was stepping THROUGH the door but instead strode right into the metal doorframe with my eyebrow bone at a decent forward lunge. :D

They take brain injuries a ton more seriously now than they used to. I had 2 TBIs between age 16 and 24 (pre-1981), and nothing was done with them - no special exams, no checking for concussion, ziltch. Nowadays, with a headache like you described, you'd probably be monitored in a hospital.

Ouchy that sounds painful. This bike accident was only about 3 years ago so not talking pre 2000s or anything. I know they are talking things like that with more seriousness I have a season ticket for my local rugby league team and they get taken off for 10 minutes for a concussion test if they have a suspected knock to the head and they cantt play again in that match if they fail and if they have so many in the space of a specific time they just arnt allowed to play for a given number of matches which is good because rugby injuries can be life changing and they are finially taking proper care of the players like they should be with this rule.

What happened here, because we were only 1 of 3 states at the very beginning, and the other 2 states are rainy dreary states, people would come here specifically to get it. Then once they got here they realized they needed to get a job, to get money to buy it, but because EVERYBODY else came here at the same time, there were no jobs, so they would end up stuck here, with no job, no money to leave, and end up on the streets. Those that could afford to stay bought up the real estate at such a fast rate that it drove the prices up enormously, so now an average, nothing fancy, no frills attached in a not so great neighborhood house is no less than $300k, where the average is right around $500k, to buy. Our infrastructure was just not prepared for it. At all.

Have you watched a program on netflix called murder mountain cant remember where its at but its an area in America think iv not even watched it all but what i did watch was really eye opening and honestly makes a lot of sense too unfortuatly. It also shows what you are talking about with the influx of new residents but it has a sinister twist to thier stories its a true documentry style program not fiction

Would also recommend it too @KiwiMoose if you want a different look on things.

See you did it again dennis made me laugh with that last sentence it wasnt only you who highjacked the thread a few of us went off topic lol

Have you watched a program on netflix called murder mountain cant remember where its at but its an area in America think iv not even watched it all but what i did watch was really eye opening and honestly makes a lot of sense too unfortuatly. It also shows what you are talking about with the influx of new residents but it has a sinister twist to thier stories its a true documentry style program not fiction

Would also recommend it too @KiwiMoose if you want a different look on things.

See you did it again dennis made me laugh with that last sentence it wasnt only you who highjacked the thread a few of us went off topic lol

Will look it up. I loved 'Dallas Buyers Club' with Matthew McConaughey.

Latest posts

Back