concerns with lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJJoy

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a soap making virgin and my husband is extremely freaked out about the lye in the process.

He does not believe that ALL soaps contain lye (he cites Toms of Maine that uses soda ash as an example).

He is also concerned about me burning a hole through my skin or kitchen counter or floor.

Any suggestions or information on this would be greatly appreciated (I really want to make my own soap!)

Thanks -

Joy

Soda ash is high alkaline solution just like lye. It does the same thing as lye and is as caustic as lye. I as nervous as well when I started to use lye but if you are careful and respect it there will be no problems.

I'm new at this too and have only made three batches. I was really afraid too, and so was my hubby. I've just taken all the precautions the books mention...appropriate clothing, eye protection, gloves...and it's been just fine. I did find, however, that it's MUCH better to mix the lye outside because of the fumes. I did it inside the first time inside and had to keep running out the door.

Just be really careful and focused and take your time. Don't get in a hurry or let your nerves overcome you! :D

I think that everybody has the same concerns about working with lye when they first start out. However, as stated above, as long as you are aware and take the precautions, gloves, goggles, long sleeves, and lots of vineger within reach, lye will soon become your friend.

It is truely a wonderous thing to be able to watch what you have done with something caustic and turning it into something so soothing and luxurious. To me, it is fascinating every time, just like a great chemistry experiment from high school!

Oh dear, I think the secret is out...I am in love :oops:

My husband was more nervous than I. I took all of the recommended precautions (goggles, gloves, long-sleeves, mix in well ventilated area). I also did it on a day I knew he would be home so he could observe and see that after the process, everything was okay. He even watched me clean-up so he wouldn't be nervous about using the sink, stove, etc. :)

SoapPoopette

As long as you're careful, there's nothing to be afraid of!

I'm a newbie too, and I've made 7 batches of soap so far and have not had an unfortunate accident with the lye yet. Just wear gloves and eye protection, long sleeves, and mix your lye in a large, tall container so that it can't splash on anything. You'll be fine!

AshleyR said:
As long as you're careful, there's nothing to be afraid of!

I'm a newbie too, and I've made 7 batches of soap so far and have not had an unfortunate accident with the lye yet. Just wear gloves and eye protection, long sleeves, and mix your lye in a large, tall container so that it can't splash on anything. You'll be fine!

I HAVE had unfortunate accidents and I'm still alive and kicking, including my daughter who may have actually EATEN THE LYE! She had a small burn on the tip of her tongue and after investigating we think she licked a spoon that had a couple granules of lye on it, confusing it with the spoon she had used to mix sugar into her iced tea. New rule: no eating/drinking/breathing whatever, when I'm making soap.

I've also had some spatters on my arms a few times and I only know it because it stings, but there again, I wash it off and I'm fine.

LESSONS LEARNED:
  • 1. No eating lye.
    2. If you get spattered, wash it off.
    3. Keep eyes covered, because at the rate I'm going, that's what's coming next.

When I first started making cp soap about a year ago, i was mixing my lye outside on my patio and then carefully carrying it inside. It soon got really cold out and I hated getting bundled up to do this and I began to get nervous that i might trip or stumble on my way back into the kitchen with the pitcher of fresh lye. Also, it was often windy outside..lye bits flying around!! I had a serious ankle injury at that time so I was a sitting duck for a stumble. Here is what I did...I got a respirator. I put it on when I am measuring out the lye and then adding it to the water. After stirring for a few minutes, the fumes seem to die down completely. I then proceed without the respirator. At first, it was a real hassle to put that thing on, but now I don't even think about it. I rarely have it on for more than 5 minutes and I never smell fumes at all when i remove it unless I put my nose right down near the lye pitcher...which I sure don't do! LOL. This works great for me, and I never move the lye pitcher out of the sink from beginning to end of the process, however I am not working with big batches either. I never go more than 3 lbs...usually just 2. It helps to open windows near where you are working while you are mixing up the lye. I think it really is not safe to be walking around with the lye water even if you are wearing protective clothing including socks. That stuff will eat a hole right through fabric in no time.

Yes, as long as you respect the lye you will be fine.

When I started making soap I followed all the precautions. I wore goggles, gloves, long sleeves, etc... but no one ever said anything about wearing socks! I love going barefoot but learned this lesson with one of my first batches.

It seems like everyone had the same start lol. The first time I worked with lye, I had gloves, long sleeves, goggles and a face mask on. Now, I know I'm too careless - all I do is pull the collar of my shirt up over my mouth and nose while mixing, and keep a bottle of vinegar nearby just in case. I have gotten a few spatters on my hands while stick blending, I don't even notice it until I slowly feel a slight burn. I've only mixed at most 4.5 oz. so if it were more than that, I'd take a few more precaustions just cause I don't like breathing the fumes. As far as countertops go, I don't worry about that either, but I would think mixing over newspaper would help delay any damage.

All good advice! 8) Just remember, respect the lye, love the soap made from it! I have had several burns since I started selling lye, but not one incident in 5 years from making soap.

Paul :wink:

When I first started making cp soap about a year ago, i was mixing my lye outside on my patio and then carefully carrying it inside. It soon got really cold out and I hated getting bundled up to do this and I began to get nervous that i might trip or stumble on my way back into the kitchen with the pitcher of fresh lye. Also, it was often windy outside..lye bits flying around!!

That's what I do too...at least the door to my stoop is only a few steps from my work table. But I've been wondering what I'd do when it starts getting really cold. How much does a respirator cost and where do you buy them?

Are you referring to the RTCP that I've seen you guys talking about?

I don't understand the math. The recipe I made today was 24.3 oz. water and 8.75 oz. lye, which I think is 36% lye solution. So would I just make a master batch at 36%? Then how would I know how much total solution to add to any given amount of oils?

NJJoy said:
Hi,

I'm a soap making virgin and my husband is extremely freaked out about the lye in the process.

He does not believe that ALL soaps contain lye (he cites Toms of Maine that uses soda ash as an example).
no soaps contain lye. we utilize lye (there are many forms of and names for caustic = lye, including soda ash, by the way).

Tell him you are an adult and can safely handle it.

And if he knew squat about it he'd not worry about his floors or counters - lye reacts with FATS. Regarding your own skin... well you'd figure out you had a problem before it ate all the way through. Keep plenty of water handy and tell him to drink more beer or something. And to keep the heck out of the way.

Just as one cannot start a fire without a spark, one cannot make soap without a strong alkali, whether it be sodium or potassium hydroxide (lye), or wood ashes, etc...

From what I've read online, soda ash is a caustic enough alkali to be used in taxidermy to remove the flesh from skulls for certain mounting displays.

There's just no getting around the fact that without using some sort of strong alkali to react with the fatty acids in your recipe, you won't arrive at soap. Even melt and pour soap manufacturers use lye in their manufacturing process before arriving at their finished product.

Unless your countertops are made of aluminum, your hubby can rest assured that the lye will not harm them or put holes in them. Lye mainly reacts with fats (in a good way to make soap), but it will also react with certain metals (in a bad way to make hydrogen gas). Whatever you do, don't ever use aluminum to mix or store your lye in. Not a good combo. :shock:

Glass, ceramics, plastics, stainless steel, wood, and cloth (my apron is still holding up fine) are all acceptable combos, although things like wooden spoons will dry out over time.

And as Carebear pointed out, if you ever get it on your skin, you'd figure out you had a problem long before it could eat through your skin. If you wash it off as soon as notice the telltale tingling and itchy/burning sensation that says you have lye on you, you'll be fine.

In 2 + years of soaping, I've only gotten lye on me 3 times in the form of raw soap and I don't have a single mark on me from it. I took care of it with a spritz of vinegar followed by running water as soon as I felt a reaction on my skin, and then continued right on soaping with nary a problem.

Like everyone else has said, respect the lye and you'll be fine. I always wear protective eye-gear and gloves; and to avoid fumes when initially mixing the lye in with my water, I go a step further and hold a tightly woven cotton diaper over my mouth and nose that has been folded over on itself 4 times, whilst I stir the lye/water mixture with my other hand until dissolved.

I know this all might seem very daunting and complicated to a new soaper (it did to me when I first started out), but it's really and truly not as hard or as scary as it sounds. To tell you the truth, I feel much, much safer soaping than I do going grocery shopping alone at night. :lol:

HTH! :)
IrishLass

carebear said:
NJJoy said:
Hi,

And if he knew squat about it he'd not worry about his floors or counters - lye reacts with FATS. Regarding your own skin... well you'd figure out you had a problem before it ate all the way through. Keep plenty of water handy and tell him to drink more beer or something. And to keep the heck out of the way.

Exactly!! I can't soap with DH in the area. I have enough to concentrate on without having to look out for his safety.

My motto is "Eliminate the distractions when working with lye!" That means I'm the ONLY being in the soapmaking area. Keeps EVERYBODY safe!!

Back