Concerns about this lotion forumula

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There is a woman near me, a Guild member who sells a lotion that I absolutely love. I started buying from her back in my more ignorant days (if you can sell it, surely you must know what you're doing, right?:twisted:)

It contains: aloe, sesame oil, glycerin, beeswax, shea butter, vitamin C, sodium tetraborate,

Yeah, I know.

Last time I bought it I asked her if she had it tested, she said yes (lab in Florida). Is she lying? Can there be so much borax in this that it's become alkaline enough to have preservative qualities?

I don't see any water listed, is that an oversight or is this a complete ingredient listing.

Vitamin C is often used as a natural "preservative", as it lowers the PH, thereby helping to inhibit bacterial growth. The borax, in this case, is used as an emulsifier. There's no water in the recipe but she does use glycerin. I'd be more concerned about the aloe but it's possible she's using aloe extract rather than aloe straight from the plant.

I'm not calling this article 100% correct but it may give a clue as to where your lotion maker is going with her recipe:

http://chemistscorner.com/natural-preservatives-in-cosmetics-a-trend/

FWIW, I looked at that formulation and thought that it might be a very nice lotion, indeed. I, however, tend to stay away from glycerin in skin creams and lotions because I don't like the feel of it on my skin and it leaves my skin feeling drier after it has soaked in.

Also I'm wondering if the aloe is the "water" in the recipe -- it's the first item listed which implies it's the main ingredient, assuming the list is ordered properly. (Which isn't always the case, I know!!!) Commercial aloe contains preservatives, so perhaps the maker is hoping the preservatives in the aloe will also extend to preserving her product?

Last edited:
I don't see any borax listed - did you mean that instead of beeswax?

Isn't sodium tetraborate borax? (re-googling now...)

Oops - somebody already caught that. You may have had "morning eyes" EG, but I've got morning brain!

I misread the label; it's NOT vitamin c, it's vitamin e. The listing for aloe simply says aloe vera so no way to know if its extract.

Sounds like its really not a safe formula to use. It's a 4 ounce jar that lasts a long time and I'm not disciplined enough to use a utensil to dip into it instead of my fingers. I could be tempting fate.

It's a shame, because I can use this on my hands in the morning and it will last through a couple hand washings.

Last edited:
Also I'm wondering if the aloe is the "water" in the recipe -- it's the first item listed which implies it's the main ingredient, assuming the list is ordered properly. (Which isn't always the case, I know!!!) Commercial aloe contains preservatives, so perhaps the maker is hoping he preservatives in the aloe will also extend to preserving her product?

I wondered that too. Being a member of the guild, you'd think she'd be compliant.

Is it possible she used aloe powder? Is it possible it's not a true lotion but more of an unwhipped body butter? It does have an unusual texture....it really coats your skin when you apply it - if you don't use very tiny amounts your hands look coated.

I think that she is depending on the preservatives that are in the ingredients. It is my feeling that they are diluted by the other ingredients not containing preservative.

Latest posts

Back