Concerned About FO in CPOP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapSap

Reaction score
I have almost completely abandoned Essential Oils for Fragrance Oil because in my cold process recipes the scent of EO would mostly disappear after saponification or shortly afterwards.

I find now I like CPOP because the colors really pop and my silicone molds can be unmolded and cut much sooner. But I am wondering if CPOP will affect the potency of the FO. So far I have not noticed any problem, but if there are any FO that do not work well for CPOP it would be helpful to be forewarned.

Any thoughts please?

I'm curious about this, too, I've read that CPOP tends to quench the scent of FO's but have not done any real testing (same recipe/formula and FO, combined with CPOP v. no CPOP/gel) to check. If anyone has, I'd love to hear about it.

Soapsap, EO's do not do well in CP for me, either.

CPOP should be used just to induce gelling and gelling can be done without an oven, so the temps should really not be different. Most FO's seem to survive gel although there will occasionally be a delicate one that does not. Some people feel that low flashpoint FOs (say a flashpoint of 140 degrees) don't get through gelling as well as higher flashpoint ones but if the science bears that out, I don't know.

I use EOs from NDA, and have no trouble with the scent surviving CPOP. I use the 3% level, except for the irritating ones. Those I keep at 0.4% generally. Could it be the source of your EOs?

That's what I was thinking, newbie. I CPOP at 150, so I have been assuming that FOs w/FPs above that, which is most, would be OK/uneffected. But you do see reports/opinions that CPOPing for some reason just generally affects scents. Hm.

I love to CPOP and I have not had any problem with FOs. I worried at first about it. Now not so much. If I lose fragrance then I will blame a low flashpoint on that particular scent and only use it in HP at the end after it has cooled

Coffeetime, I can't remember who the mftr was on the EO's. I used them a few times in CP and just decided to save them for other stuff b/c of the fading. I have some NDA EO's - have to say, they are great value for the good ones, if you can meet the minimum order amount - I will try again with one of them. Newbie and AD, thanks for the reassurance, that makes me feel better, I have had a niggling worry about CPOPing (which I do w/everything but known heaters), so that is good.

I have almost completely abandoned Essential Oils for Fragrance Oil because in my cold process recipes the scent of EO would mostly disappear after saponification or shortly afterwards.

I find now I like CPOP because the colors really pop and my silicone molds can be unmolded and cut much sooner. But I am wondering if CPOP will affect the potency of the FO. So far I have not noticed any problem, but if there are any FO that do not work well for CPOP it would be helpful to be forewarned.

Any thoughts please?

On the whole, soap FOs aren't so different from candle FOs. The latter are often added to a 180 degree mixture, but fragrances aren't particularly affected by the heat, despite perennial concerns. The exact flash point isn't really relevant either, as nothing special happens at that temperature. So in the case of cold process (or CPOP) soap, chemistry seems to be a more significant concern than temperature.

As far as EOs are concerned, many or most simply don't work well scenting CP. Not sure why this isn't more widely discussed. Either they will fade or you'll have to be content with a morphed or subtle fragrance. However, some work great and can come through true and strong. It's a matter of sorting out which are which. For a more positive experience, try for instance rosemary, lemongrass, rosewood, ylang ylang, rose geranium, mint, and patchouli.

True, TOTP, I have had luck w/lemongrass and litsea EO's, both of which I really like as blenders w/FO's. Will have to try w/some of the others on your list, I know I have rosemary, rosewood and mint around here someplace.

Back