Concern using oxides or micas?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angiem915

Reaction score
I am new (about a dozen batches) to soap making; and I was wondering if anyone worries about using micas and oxides? I love the beautiful colors and cool techniques. My friend was telling me something about inhaling the mica being bad and nano particles being absorbed into the skin. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

*begin largely unscientific personal opinion*

My stance on most things of this matter have been this: Life is too short. That isn't to say turn a blind eye to everything. Be informed, know what your line is and where you draw it; however, you cant let every study turn you away from doing something you enjoy.

My reasoning is two fold

1.) Much of the data that people post around the internet is misrepresented. Things are misunderstood, facts taken out of context, and some things are flat out manipulated to seem one way or the other to serve someone else argument.

2.) If you really feel the need to worry about everything that's bad for our bodies just remember this, oxygen is slowly killing every human on this planet through Oxidative Stress.

Think of it this way, you are dispersing (usually) at most one teaspoon of mica/oxide/pigment per pound of soap, a wash off product. The lather in soap is there to lift up particles from the skin so they may be washed away with water. Many micas and oxides are used as makeup, put on or near mucous membranes and left there for hours on end, daily. It would seem to me, that if there were to be a worry about using micas or oxides that would be it.

Honestly i would be a lot more concerned about inhaling micas than having them absorb through my skin. So just don't huff your shiny polished mineral fragments and i'm sure you'll be fine.

Last edited:
The potential problem from mica doesn't happen when you use the soap, but when you're measuring out the mica, or dusting the tops of soaps. Mica particles are incredibly small, and easily become airborne, and then inhaled into the lungs. If you have any respiratory problem, and probably even if you don't, it only takes a second to put on a mask and avoid the problem altogether. Not a reason to stop using mica, just remember your particle mask. And if you have concerns, you can always leave your soap uncolored. Plain is the new beautiful. (I just made that up. lol )

Exactly what Navigator9 said, and I'm not too sure they could be absorbed through the skin. I have read many of the safety/Hazard reports on oxides and micas, the big concern is breathing in the fine particles.
Oxides are reproduced in a lab because in nature they can contain toxins, such as lead and arsenic. So they are not natural, but the FDA requires they be lab made to be safer.
I still put the neon pigments in my shopping cart, and end up taking them out, so I understand where you are coming from. Luckily today there are many new micas that are cosmetic grade.

I still put the neon pigments in my shopping cart, and end up taking them out.

Do you mean the ones from WSP? I have the sample pack and just love the colors. Very fun to use. They aren't fluffy like micas, I don't notice any floating around in the air.

Obsidian, The Neon from TKB Trading, it's not breathing in the small particles, just my weirdness about a neon being OK for Soap, but not safe for a bath bomb. I use micas, but I have only used the ones that are cosmetic safe.

I am on my daugher's computer and didn't realize she was signed in under account
Sorry

I'll have to check them out, the colors are beautiful. I love the Tutti Frutti, actually I want them all! I love that WSP puts them is a jar when you purchase the regular size.

No I'm not worried at all. :D
And I second all the sensible things that are mentioned above.

Rule 1 in soaping:
Wear protective gear!

The skin is there to protect us; it is an excretory organ; i.o.w. one way traffic - from the inside of your body to the outside.
In order to get something in your system through your skin, you need a special "transmitter", like what is used in nicotin or morfin adhesive bandages.

Don't worry - be happy (soaping). :)

I can't speak to mica's though from my understanding they are inert and as long as you have cosmetic grade you shouldn't have an impurity issues. But human kind has been using oxides for colorants for thousands of years so they are fairly well put to the stress test of time and just about every beauty product uses oxides in some form so I wouldn't be concerned about the small amounts that would defuse out of your soap considering your also going to have them be washed of after a few moments of applying the lather.

me too, i ain't worried at all about using colorants. i am more worried about the cigarettes i smoke daily :p

Latest posts

Back