Computer Must have ate some soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spice

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My computer is overheating; has been for the last 2 weeks. Everytime I get on the internet the fan goes on. So I am not taking the time to hurry and let everyone know, that It will be a few more days or so because I am switching from a PC to a Macbook. I need to switch ALL MY FILES OVER. As I am doing this thread this computer must know it will be going to computer heaven because it sounds like its ready to blow. I pray that I can get all my links imported.:sick:

Good luck! It's always scary when a computer starts to die. Will it live until you can get what you need off of it? Will it survive until you find a good replacement! I feel your pain!

Wishing you good luck.

How was the maintenance over the years? did you use an air duster and all or is this once of those ancient computers from before 2009?

Good luck! It's always scary when a computer starts to die. Will it live until you can get what you need off of it? Will it survive until you find a good replacement! I feel your pain!

Thanks for the good luck, its been all day just to figure out how to xport my bookmarks. Finally did it. It took hours, because the PC keep overheating and I had only a small window to work with.

Arimara, the computer is 10 years old and it has worked great. I keep the dust bunnies out, had to replace the graphcard once though. Its just tried.

Navaria, I think the hardest part is the links because of where they are, maybe.....I have files from a PC software that will be on my Macbook. That should be fun. So till I get all this done I will be off the soap forum....God I hope it isnt long. I got into soapcalc and that was very good.

Gotta to go my dogs keep coming into my room and they are screaming, "FEED US"!:evil:

My family also has a 10+ old pc. I think it was bought in 2005. I keep threatening to buy the family a new all-in-one, even though I find them rather unappealing. I'd give them my other laptop but the battery is trash in the making and I was never able to completely close off the screen when I attempted to replace it (I'm not paying half of what it cost me for the laptop to replace the screen that's way too much).

Its highly possible that the thermo paste needs replacing. Youd be surprised at the difference that just doing that alone can make. Also if you do want to do some maintenance make sure you pull everything and i mean everything out and give it a really good air dusting. But backing up data is always a good idea whichever way you go.

Spice - you can buy an external hard drive enclosure - something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392020
And stuff your hard drive into it, and then move files at your leisure and then scrub and keep the external drive for backup.

Thats what I do with all my old drives :)
Yep, I have been doing that, I just think that the old girl is slowing down. I have been doing this new macbook for two days now. Making soap is easier.:(

Its highly possible that the thermo paste needs replacing. Youd be surprised at the difference that just doing that alone can make. Also if you do want to do some maintenance make sure you pull everything and i mean everything out and give it a really good air dusting. But backing up data is always a good idea whichever way you go.

Been that its ten plus, I just will let her go. She has been good to me and I will just need to get this new one going. Almost done after days and days of this.

Oy, macs. I won't knock anyone who has one. I only like them for photo editing. I love using photoshop and having that kind of power is why I will never have a mac in the house.

That is why I run Linux on all our computers. And our LAN...

Much simpler than the other OS's.

I couldn't install Linux. That was a humbling moment, not that I brag about my computer proficiency (i'm not). I still want to use it but I'm content to removing viruses and the like when I have to.

I cant stand viruses, I can ran a mac and be safe.:)

My lot in life but again, I can't knock macs. They're great computers and far more stable and safe than pcs but I have to be realistic, I can't immediately afford one and at least I can switch out pc laptop screens if the need arises. I can also remove viruses if I have to.

Last edited:
I cant stand viruses, I can ran a mac and be safe.:)

Meh. I haven't had a virus on my pc in over 10 years. I used to be all you must have a firewall both hardware and software, 3 different virus scanners plus all the spyware and whatnot removal tools. These days I just do what I do and maybe if i remember i will run a virus scan maybe every 6 months or so. Its just a mater of being a little cautious about where you browse and what you download etc.

Back