Complicated multi-wick bravit candle

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afikomenfinder

Reaction score
I recently saw a GIF online of this amazingly interesting bravit candle, which has multiple wicks that maze their way through the flat, thin candle and create interesting paths for multiple flames to start and stop throughout the candle's burning.

v7N6xik.gif

http://geekologie.com/2008/02/bravit-candle-is-neat-expensiv.php

It appears you can't buy these anymore (correct me if I'm wrong) but anyways, I'm a tinkerer and so I'd rather make some myself.

I've only ever made one candle before (a parafin candle in a coke can for the mold, came out with a nice shape) so I'm still a noob and I'm looking for advice on making this.

I'm thinking of a mold made of either wooden walls screwed together, or perhaps machined of aluminum, which I can make.

The hard part, and where I'll probably need more suggestions, is the wick. The wick in that candle above is an odd, honeycomb shaped thing, which works well but would probably be pretty complicated to make. I'm considering two alternatives: 1) making a net out of candle wicks and using that as the wick, which will allow the flames to still dance and move side to side, but unfortunately with less 'randomness', or 2) a wooden wick that I can bend/reshape into any shape I want and create my own random pattern of sideways and up/down wick path.

The net would be easier to hang in the mold, since I can support it at the top and just hang it down in while I pour the wax. The wooden one might not be bad either though, because it would be pretty rigid, whereas the 'net' wick would tend to get pushed around by the molten wax as it fills the mold and might get pressed up against the side instead of staying in the middle.

Anyways, those are my initial ideas. Anyone have any suggestions?! Thanks for your help!

That is very cool looking. I haven't made candles in years so I don't know what to suggest as a wick. If no one can answer your question here, you might ask at http://www.craftserver.com/forums/index.php. I know this type of candle had been discussed over there but I don't know if anyone was able to make something similar. As for the mold, I think an aluminum mold would work better than a wooden one since you'd have to line the wood but can use a releasing agent for the aluminum. But I'm basing this on the types of molds I've seen for candles. Maybe I'm wrong about using wood.

Good luck! :grin:

OK, that is very cool. Looking closely at the gif it appears there is a honeycomb shaped wick web imbedded in the wax. Possibly create a mold that would form the candle on its side. Pour half the wax, lay the wick and then pour the other half. you will probably have to tie your own wick webs. I'll be thinking about this more for sure. I wonder if they are a crazy fire hazard though.

Last edited:
I love the idea - VERY cool. If I could time travel and afford a candle like that I would totally get one. It looks like you'd need an ant farm as a mold. Good luck!

I wonder how to support such mesh when pouring. I only imagine pouring one layer, tacking the wick mesh and then pouring the second layer

That is very cool! I'll have to think about trying something like that too. I agree about pouring into a mold on it's side and then setting the wick web onto it and pouring over that. Seems like the best way to go about it.

So I researched this in depth LOL... because I am intrigued. There are a bunch of people who seem to be obsessed with this candle hahaha... Some of whom have gone on to try and recreate it. One person made one and it seems to me to be pretty straight forward and actually much more simple than id think!

She simply took two matching thin blocks of paraffin, heated a screw driver and "etched" into the side where her wick matrix needed to be. She then inserted her wick, and simply closed the block by laying the other side on top, attaching it by melting paraffin and essentially "gluing" the two sides together. She then heated the seams on the outside to erase them and there she had it! Her own bravit candle!

BTW, I would totally use a colored wick in this project! I think it would look AWESOME if the paraffin was thin enough.

GB_REELS-SM.jpg

Back