Complacency Leads to Soap on a Stick

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“I got this soap making malarkey.” I told myself. And then it happened. A plug of “soap” so hard in my stick blender that I wasn’t sure I’d be able to get it out. I didn’t even break out into the expected (from me at least) colourful swears, to be heard across the land, because I was so stunned by what I saw before me. I just stood in silent horror, before attempting to push this mass of stodge into my mould. THIS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN.
Out of curiosity, what fragrance did you use? The only time I've ever had soap on a stick was when I used a combination of lemon and lime essential oils. And, it was instant! Won't be doing that again.

Out of curiosity, what fragrance did you use? The only time I've ever had soap on a stick was when I used a combination of lemon and lime essential oils. And, it was instant! Won't be doing that again.
That is interesting, I made Lemon and Lime as a regular in my stock and never had it go soap on a stick. My Lime was Brazilian lime/Key Lime from NDA, I do not think they have it anymore, and May Chang from either NDA or Sun Pure Botanicals. Sometimes I purchased the Mexican Lime and the Litsea from Liberty Naturals, but I see the lime has really gone up in price.

see my post above. I’ve been making soap for 25 years, so when I saw the lumps come from the bottom of the pot, I suspected I had uncolored batter until I actually cut the loaf. The white spots are so different from the rest of the soap that it was easy to identify them as an issue with lye. Uncolored batter will have the same/identical texture as the rest of the soap.

Hard, shiny, irregular, bright white spots indicate an issue fully incorporating the lye solution. After reading my posts, if it ever happens to you, you will know it when you see it!!! I’m wishing I took more pictures to share.
Thanks! I’ve been using a spatula to start off when I add my lye (mostly out of fear of splashing) so hopefully I won’t have that exact issue, but knowing in advance that it can happen will be helpful.

One thing… this is the first batch where I put the FO in with the oils, which I will NOT be doing again, because I don’t know nearly enough to know if that’s a good thing to do and wanted to try.

It was called cherry blossom, and what I have left will be reserved for single colour soap till I know better what I’m doing.

Back