Commercial Shampoo vs hand made PH issue

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarkus

Reaction score
Hi all,

recently I gave coconut soap to my wife (20% super fat and nothing else added) and to relative to use and both of them (female) reported that my soap irritates and kind of burning feeling on their vagina area. Well a few of my friends with family used it same soap and they didn't experience this issue. since 2 people are saying the same thing I started to research. what I found is that commercial shampoos or soaps PH level is very low. I checked trader joes shampoo my wife bought PH level was 6. I know inside hand made soap there are iodine, glycerin and PH is 9-10. I checked the ph of my soap was showing 9. i made this soap 3 months ago and I know its been cured specially I checked the ph level. based on my understanding commercial soaps or shampoos are chemical base and besides adding toxins on top of that PH is very low and no iodine or glycerin added either. going higher then ph 7 is alkaline and based on online information bacteria gets killed under higher ph. for example use of peroxide. I am not a female I can't tell for sure but does it sound like they might have some sort of light infection that's why they feel burning? or that area is too sensitive. both of my kids (girls) used the same batch of soap they didn't complain. what do you think?

thanks

Andre

Did you zap test your soap to make sure there is no active lye? Otherwise they just may be sensitive to that much Coconut Oil. Lots of folks are sensitive to high amounts even with a higher superfat. Testing the PH in your soap is near impossible. Especially if using strips. As long as it doesn't zap it should be fine to use but just not them. You may want to formulate something else for them to use.

Hi Andre.:)

The different results that people are reporting back to you more than likely have more to do with people's individual skin sensitivities than there being something wrong with your soap.

Case in point- my sister cannot use my 100% coconut oil soap superfatted at 20% on her lady parts, while I myself have absolutely no problem. My sis reports stinging down there when she uses that particular formula of soap, while my other soaps don't bother her there at all.

I don't experience any stinging at all with any of my soaps. Neither do my hubby or son or other people I give my soaps to, but that doesn't mean it's fine for everyone. I only give my sis my other soaps that have less coconut oil.

Coconut oil is a very cleansing oil, and some people just can't tolerate it above a certain % in their soap. Also- some people can't handle using any kind of soap in those more sensitive parts at all, even commercial ones, and use only water for those parts. Everyone is different in what their skin can or cannot handle.

I would make a different formula for them with much less coconut next time and see if they are able to tolerate that better. In the meantime, I would tell the sensitive ones to which you gave soap to not use it on their sensitive parts.

Are they fine with the soap on the rest of their body?

IrishLass :)

Another consideration would be an infection. Healthy female parts have an acidic ph and that keeps them safe from infections. When there is an imbalance, say they are using this high ph soap to really clean themselves ( they don't actually need to do this, a thorough cleanse with water should suffice as IL stated), then that could alter the ph and make them prone to infections. May be they should back off with the soap for sometime and see if it helps, they could continue to use it for rest of the body if it doesn't bother them.

thank you for your replay. I have electronic PH tester that does very good job. first i take a piece of soap mix with distiled water then shake it well. i calibrate the ph tester then check it. I know for sure my soap ph is 9.

Tarkus a Ph of 9 is fine for handcrafted soap. Commercial soap (and shampoo) are not pure soap, they are usually made with detergents that are a lower PH.

Most likely it is not the PH of your soap that is causing the burning. Many people have a sensitivity to coconut soap. When you check commercial soap that IS soap you will find most of them have PH readings of 9 and higher. Ivory soap comes to mind, I believe the PH of it is 9.5. Does Ivory soap cause the same burning? If not I would try a soap with coconut oil at no higher than 15% and see if the burning continues .

Remember that soap is a wash off product, and no matter if the PH 9 or 11 the skin will readjust itself back to 7 within 15 minutes of rinsing without damage to the skin.

Some women are very sensitive to the ph of soaps...It isn't infection related. I can not use soap and have had to revert to dove sensitive on a particular region. It is what it is :)

Edit to say ALL soap products do this to me. It may have been the coconut or the ph. In my case it's the ph.

Back