Comic book shoes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynusann

Reaction score
Decided I had nothing better to do now that DH is tdy for a while so I cleaned up my craft room/office and look what I found! I had completely forgotten I still had this pair left. I used to make them all the time and they sold like crazy (never underestimate a geek's love of comics... Taught to me by my geeky hubby). Shame they're like half a size too small for me to wear.

rps20150705_150915.jpg

They're a size 8. I wear an 8 1/2 and i can squeeze into them but they aren't comfortable for me which makes me sad. I keep hoping that I'll lose enough weight that my shoe size will go down haha

They are super cool. I could never walk in heels that high - although god knows I need the height - would buy a pair if I could.

They're insanely time consuming to make and you really need high quality shoes to make them turn out nice but if I ever get a wild hair to make more I'll let you know.

There are two girls in my office that bought pairs from me and whenever they wear them to work everyone oogles over them. I really should have kept a pair for myself.

I can't wear them, Lynn, I can't walk in heels that high. Was just saying that if I *could* I would love some. Next life. I can see how time consuming they would be, looks like a lot of work. At least you know you can always make a pair for yourself in a good size if you decide you want them ...

I can't wear them, Lynn, I can't walk in heels that high. Was just saying that if I *could* I would love some. Next life. I can see how time consuming they would be, looks like a lot of work. At least you know you can always make a pair for yourself in a good size if you decide you want them ...

Oh no no, I mean I've done flats before too. :)

I can't wear crazy heels at the moment myself so I understand the pain. That...and I look like a baby giraffe when I wear tall heels...lol it's not pretty.

Last time I bought comic books to make shoes from, the guy at the register asked what my favorite character was and I was like "oh, no I don't read this, I cut them up in tiny pieces" and he just stared at me blankly.... I only bought comics online after that :lol:

comic flats.jpg

Those are nifty, how is that done? I'm thinking something similar to decoupage, but I can't see that standing up to wear and tear very well...intriguing. :thumbup:

Wow, Lynusann! Those are the coolest shoes I've seen in a long time! Immediately several family members and friends popped into my head that would love those. Did you ever make any for men? My newest SIL is a pedorthist and a huge Thor fan. He'd go mad for Thor shoes! (They recently got a new kitty and named him Odin, lol.)

Wow, Lynusann! Those are the coolest shoes I've seen in a long time! Immediately several family members and friends popped into my head that would love those. Did you ever make any for men? My newest SIL is a pedorthist and a huge Thor fan. He'd go mad for Thor shoes! (They recently got a new kitty and named him Odin, lol.)

I can't say I ever did do any shoes for men. The difficulty would be that they have to be completely smooth and most men's shoes have a lot of lace holes or layered materials. I usually bought real leather heels and flats for women because they're smooth an high quality enough that they don't bend a lot like vinyl shoes do, so they hold up a lot longer.

Those are nifty, how is that done? I'm thinking something similar to decoupage, but I can't see that standing up to wear and tear very well...intriguing. :thumbup:

It is very similar to decoupage. You have to sand the shoes first to make the top layer rough, gesso the entire shoe and let it dry. Then you modpodge a layer and start piecing together your comic book strips. The time consuming part comes not only in cutting out all the right comic book pictures, but in piecing them together so they look good on the shoe. Going around heels and toes is the tough part because you have to x-acto knife the crap out of pieces so that they lay perfectly flat. After it's sat to dry for about 48 hours you have to modpodge another layer over it and let that dry for 24 hours. Then buff the shoes out so they're smooth again and I add an acrylic spray layer over the top to help with longevity.

They definitely aren't daily wear shoes but they seem to do ok if you accidentally step in a little water one night while walking around downtown or something. The worst wear is usually right around the ball of the foot where the shoe bends the most. That's why I only bought thick, high quality leather heels when I did them because they had less give.

Last time I bought comic books to make shoes from, the guy at the register asked what my favorite character was and I was like "oh, no I don't read this, I cut them up in tiny pieces" and he just stared at me blankly.... I only bought comics online after that :lol:

I have to admit, looking at these gives me a little 'punched in the gut" feeling...

:D

I'm picturing a high priced attorney in $500 Italian loafers made into comic book shoes giving his opening statement in a court room......

It would probably make the front page on Yahoo and MSN. You'd be an overnight sensation in the shoe world, Lynusann!

I have to admit, looking at these gives me a little 'punched in the gut" feeling...

:D

Anndddd....that is why I buy them online now :p

At least they weren't $500 comic books...I picked them up out of the $2 bins.

I'm picturing a high priced attorney in $500 Italian loafers made into comic book shoes giving his opening statement in a court room......

It would probably make the front page on Yahoo and MSN. You'd be an overnight sensation in the shoe world, Lynusann!

I nearly spit my OJ on the computer screen when I read that! So if anyone knows an attorney that needs some really cool batman or iron man loafers let me know...maybe I could consider making just one more pair :lol:

Anndddd....that is why I buy them online now :p

At least they weren't $500 comic books...I picked them up out of the $2 bins.

But, But...

In 20 years they could be priceless!

(I mostly kid - they do look very fun, and I know a few women who would go crazy for stuff like that. One does amateur burlesque, and I could see her designing a whole number around the shoes)

As someone who *was* a high-priced attorney, I am afraid that you would have to redefine your target market, Lynn. At least w/r/t the courtroom, they are a pretty stuff bunch there ....

I wish I could wear heels, those look really sexy and fun. I bet you could put together some great outfits w/them as the focal point.

"...As someone who *was* a high-priced attorney, I am afraid that you would have to redefine your target market, Lynn. At least w/r/t the courtroom, they are a pretty stuff bunch there...."

Ah, Not_ally, you have to get out of the big city and practice in the boonies! My DH is a magistrate. He often presides in the courtroom wearing sandals. Without socks, no less. :)

Back