Combine CP, cake decorating & modeling clay - this is the result

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The patience required to do this is just mind-blowing to me! Thought I would share a new twist on cake decorating/fondant techniques that can be applied to soaping. I'm sure it took some experimenting to find the right recipe but the results are so cool.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCoit8Ioosg[/ame]

It's supposed to be fresh CP soap that's basically unmolded and put in a plastic bag instead of leaving it out to cure. Not sure how long it maintains pliability but I think she spritzes with water if it needs to be softened up.

ETA: maybe she does add some glycerin to the fresh CP to keep it workable longer . . . things that make you go hmmmm

Ok, so it does eventually harden? Wow. Now that is neat.

But, if its fresh CP, I wouldn't DARE touch it with my bare hands. That's just asking for suuuuper dry/possibly burned hands

I love the way other people can make things look so easy! 3 minutes to make a fish sculpture out of soap. After an hour and a bunch of tears, I would probably have nothing but a big mess on my hands. Lol.

I ordered some of the chicken soap because it was too cute! I wanted some for myself and also gifted some to a soaping buddy that also owns chickens. The ingredients say cold process without any special additives . . . I don't see any mention of extra glycerin or other additives to keep it mold-able. It definitely hardened up with cure time so I think the embeds are done in advance then set into a freshly poured batch. Some of them also look to be colored with micas after hand-molding . . . otherwise I don't know how she got that detail on the chickens!

http://sorcerysoap.com/product/chicken-soap/

The video of her making apples for embeds mentions that the soap is a few weeks old and the perfect consistency. To me it looks like she must unmold and bag the soap as soon as its firm enough to do so then lets it finish saponifying in the bag.

I made a test batch today and had a bit leftover so it went in a cupcake mold, think I'll pop one in a baggy for a week to see how the texture is.

Hmmm, thinking back on one of the first batches of soap I made, I remember leaving it in the mold (cardboard box lined with freezer paper) for a coupld of days because it seemed soft to me. When I did unmold and cut it, it was firm, but like a cold block of Velveeta, it cut very easly and stayed soft enough to press a fingertip into for a couple of weeks.

And recently I made my coffee soap, and put some into an empty plastic tub from a flavored cream cheese spread and even though I left it almost a week, it was still too soft when I lost patience and unmolded it anyways. Not to the point of what she was doing in the video, but I could have easily molded it into a ball.

Before I made a single batch I read everything I could get my hands on through my local library. I'm sure I remember some of the soapers mentioning that sometimes it took three or four days before the soap would be firm enough to unmold and cut, so I can see where this could be doable if you have a recipe that stays soft for a while, especially if it's put into a Ziploc so the water can't evaporate out right away.

A wild thought, liquid soap paste can be pretty thick, maybe you could use a combination of soaps? Sort of like doing a croap--aren't some of those pretty pliable?

That koi... I suck as a sculptor so pretty much wows me. With my usual water discount my soap is hard and ready to be cut and unmolded in a matter of hours. I'm really tempted to make a batch with no water discount or at least not one so steep, to play with this idea. I wonder if one could make wedding cake toppers, like a bride and groom.

That koi... I suck as a sculptor so pretty much wows me. With my usual water discount my soap is hard and ready to be cut and unmolded in a matter of hours. I'm really tempted to make a batch with no water discount or at least not one so steep, to play with this idea. I wonder if one could make wedding cake toppers, like a bride and groom.

I also suck at sculpting so not sure how successful I will be even with the perfect recipe. I'm tempted to make a 1lb batch or extra 1/2lb with my next batch just to see how the soap behaves if you wrap immediately after unmolding. I could definitely see someone doing bride & groom toppers for wedding favor soaps or something baby-related for a baby shower soap. The possibilities are endless but I'm pretty sure my first attempt will be a candidate for the 'ugly soap' thread!

doriettefarm, I've noticed that using full water but replaced with store bought aloe juice makes a softer soap. I made a brine soap with 100% aloe and 24 hours later its still soft enough that I could mold it. I've wrapped some up so I can try molding it in a week or two.

I have no real artistic talent though so it liable to be pretty ugly.

Interesting observation about the aloe juice O. I've got a gallon I'm trying to polish off so maybe I'll make a small test batch this weekend. For inspiration I'm thinking something from our garden . . . maybe I could sculpt a tomato that actually looks like a tomato! Anything delicate and viney like pole beans would be a no-go.

I'll probably try something simple like a fish or a reptile. If had any talent, I would try a flower. Veggies would be really cool, make a variety and put them on top of a herbal scented loaf.

I also suck at sculpting so not sure how successful I will be even with the perfect recipe. I'm tempted to make a 1lb batch or extra 1/2lb with my next batch just to see how the soap behaves if you wrap immediately after unmolding. I could definitely see someone doing bride & groom toppers for wedding favor soaps or something baby-related for a baby shower soap. The possibilities are endless but I'm pretty sure my first attempt will be a candidate for the 'ugly soap' thread!
Nothing's ever perfect the first time, right? Or even the twelfth! My muse, psycho that she is, is plotting a three tiered wedding cake with soft soap rolled out like fondant as the icing and a little bride and groom on top. Was is this idea a little insane? I'm not dating, let alone getting married, and no one I know is either! Still, it would be such an awesome project...

Oh man, this is so fascinating!

And another thought... Looking at her ingredients list, she has water as the first ingredient, before any of the oils. Could it be she uses a very-high water recipe in addition to immediately wrapping?

I did ask if she used full water and the answer was yes. I didn't think to ask if she went even higher than normal. I think the key is to unmold and wrap as soon as possible. She did say fragrance & colorants could also change how long the soap remained pliable.

I'll probably try something simple like a fish or a reptile. If had any talent, I would try a flower. Veggies would be really cool, make a variety and put them on top of a herbal scented loaf.

I'm very tempted to remake a small batch of my AL swap soap (same recipe/fragrance combo) and trying the hand-molded tomatoes. I thought my design was okay but this would take things to a totally different level. Could end up being a giant fail but I gotta try at least once!

Another thought... does she wait to unmold them, or are they wrapped up from the start? I'm thinking lining the mold with plastic wrap, wrapping it over the top once the batter is in, and just letting it saponify that way without any moisture loss.

Latest posts

Back