Column swirl/embeds for the kids

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derpina Bubbles

Reaction score
Ok so I might have gone over board playing around with my new brites for CP colours that I just got to play with. Bit too much on the colour? I think they look a little busy personally. My kids don't seem to mind. My youngest wants to eat them. She thinks my other soaps look a little dull.

Righto so we have Citrus Smitrus there with lemon, lime and orange.

Next is Rainbow heart thingamajig scented with BB strawberry.

Then it's a just another heart thingo scented with BB strawberry.

The pics after that are of a mango column pour. Column pours and I don't get along. The batter thickened too quickly and started to just pile up on top of the column. It was sitting up there like it was afraid of heights. After pushing it off the edge and removing the column I swear the middle of the soap looked like ...um ...well, something puckered. Once I ran a skewer through it the puckering looked a bit better.

I would have taken pics of the pile atop the column and one of the heap of batter stuck on the sides but I was busy swearing. You know, like an oath to never do a column pour again.

kids soaps.jpg

mango column.jpg

mango column cut.jpg

I think you should hold the anus bar back. ;)

I like colors as well as natural as well as natural colors. I think they all look great, but I wonder how you feel about committing saponicide? I mean, really, just shoving it off the cliff like that.....

They all look really cool. I know my daughters would love them. :) But for now they are stuck with boring soaps. :lol:I don't have courage to do embeds or too many colours at once.

Pretty! I want to smell them. They remind me of these adorable scented pencil erasers I had when I was a kid, and I always liked sniffing them. They smelled like fruit loops. I want fruit loops scented adorable soaps.

ETA: I think I'm still a kid. I know my hubby is. I don't care. lol

Hubby just bought me a new silicone mold. It is choo-choo trains individual molds. He told me I should make some kid's soaps. lol

i love that column pour! what exactly is a column pour? i love how it looks when cut!

That link that Relle posted is an awesome column pour. That's what they should look like! When you don't have to force the soap off the column it looks way better.

Thanks all for the compliments.

*LOL Newbie the soap batter had it coming.

*Seawolfe - A lifesavers soap sounds like an awesome idea :think: and now I want to eat some.

*Grayceworks - the choo choo trains sounds cute! I can just imagine a fruit loops FO. If someone made a decent one I'd be buying bottles of it.

Ok so I might have gone over board playing around with my new brites for CP colours that I just got to play with. Bit too much on the colour? I think they look a little busy personally. My kids don't seem to mind. My youngest wants to eat them. She thinks my other soaps look a little dull.

These are amazing. But I do worry about the effect that your soap-affair is having on your kids. For anyone to think your soaps are dull suggests there's a little overstimulation in play!

you brave soul! column pour is still the one thing that scares me to death. the thought of having to keep the batter thin while doing pour after pour after pour... nah uh, i don't think i can do it :D

I don't see how the colors stay separate when pouring so thin? I mean I have done swirls with batter at a fairly thin trace but as I reach the last of my batter it's starting to thicken up a lot. I'd think to do the column pour, it would have to be just right at the emulsified stage to be able to get it all done but then wouldn't the colors mix and get muddy? I haven't tried that swirl because I've been trying to figure out how thick it needs to be to not get muddy but still give me enough time for all the layers.

Wow column pours. How do you keep the "column" upright while pouring? I'm kinda clumsy....

Ha! Seven- after seeing your work I think you could do it standing on your head!

Grayceworks- I know what you mean. I made a column pour one time that did mix a bit. My black and white batter ended up with grey. So bands of black, grey and white which actually worked. As long as you use colours that mix up well together it's ok. You can see that mine did get muddied up in the middle when the batter thickened. I did started when the batter was just barely emulsified but I forgot 1 important thing. Leave the stupid stinking castor oil out of the batter. If I try and get fancy with castor oil in the mix it always thickens too quick. Forgot that, had 5% in this one *facepalm*.

Shunt - Thanks, I think I might become a colour junky :think: It was fun! I'll just blame what I make on the kids.

Seawolfe- for the column I use a sturdy heavy piece of timber. You use anything lye friendly that won't topple over, so anything solid and heavy enough. I'm a member of the clumsy club too :thumbup:

Back