Colouring with Micas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out mica dosages. Labels usually say 1-2 tsp of mica per pound of soap; my question is, do they count that as the full batch or just when you split the batch for the colours. Like if I have a 3 pound batch of soap and measure it off into 2 sub-colours, is it the weight of the portioned off batch that I count as the weight? I'm not sure why this is boggling my mind so badly, but I thought I would ask the experts on here. TIA

Oh yes I meant per pound of oils - I need more caffeine I think. So is it the whole batch or the sections that I pour out for designs?
Sorry, I need more ☕myself. Hopefully someone else will chime in but I would calculate how much mica in total could be used based on recipe oils/fat total. Then if you using more than 1 color do some division. That being said however. I KNOW I read somewhere onSMF that for Micas the 1tsp/PPO was a guideline & could go more without issue. Hoping to hear that again.🤞

Oh yes I meant per pound of oils - I need more caffeine I think. So is it the whole batch or the sections that I pour out for designs?
I need more caffeine too, but to answer what I think you are asking - the 1 tsp PPO would be based on the section you want to color. For example, your recipe uses 2 lbs of oils total. You want a base color of white and two swirl colors. I would split my batter so that I have 1/4 of the total batch in each of two bowls (for the colors) and 1/2 of the total batter (for the white), and add the colorants to the divided portions.

I pre-disperse my micas in a bit of oil and add until I get the color I want. I use 1 tsp PPO as a guide - I often find I can get the color I am looking for with less mica.

There’s an Amy Warden video on youtube where she shows how to mix a variety of colorants and suggests using 1 tsp per cup of soap batter. At that level most micas will look fully opaque. I’m headed to work now, but maybe someone else can find and add the link.
See - I do need more caffeine. I have often recommended this video.

:dance: Finished video. 1 teaspoon/cup of soap batter for mica use is kinda what I was hoping to hear. Gonna start with scant tsp/PPO but now know I have room to toss in a skosh more to get color I’m hoping for.

Latest posts

Back