Colourant recommendations

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purplerain

Reaction score
I'm about to order some supplies after unmolding my 4th batch. Just having so much fun! All is going pretty well and I want to start playing with colour. I'm going to order some micas, oxides etc. and wondered if anyone might have suggestions for a basic palette to begin with, of stuff that works well together. And how much of each to start with?
Thanks in advance. This is such a great resource!

I love, love, love micas. You can combine colors to make your own or tint them with TD and shade with AC (a little goes a long way). You do not need a lot. If you want to tone down the vibrancy of a color, mix it with a bit of it's complimentary color to 'brown' it down. I'm a hobbyist so I normally go for the 1oz sizes. They last a really long time. I've hardly made a dent in most of mine.

I've had very good luck with ones from Mad Oils, but I know a lot of folks here get them from TKB Trading and the Conservatorie. I haven't tried them out yet though. One thing I like from Mad Oils is that even their samples come in jars. They sell 7gm samples that I've used for multiple batches.... so you could get a bunch to try out.

I've had good luck mixing similar colors to create a custom blend (e.g. blue + green to make a tealish blue); however, using a green mica just seems to work better for me than trying to combine a yellow and blue one. Hope that makes sense...

When I first started playing with color I had no idea what to try so I decided to get the sample packs from BB. I got the Brazilian clay and a few of the mica samplers. It really helped me get a feel for the types of color I wanted to use and how to go about using them. Then from there I decided on which color and type of colorant I wanted in larger sizes. Variety samplers are the simplest way to start out, in my opinion. Good luck!

I love all of my nurture soap supplies color ants especially the blue Micas and purple micas. They haven't discolored in CP on me. I have a lot of TKB micas and the only ones that haven't worked for me are the blues for the exception of coral reef. I love my TKB and Nurture colorants. Clays are nice to use as well.

Micas are fun! I have ordered a bunch from The Conservatorie, but they have a $50 min. Nurture Soap Supplies has a nice variety of fabulous micas and offer sample packs.

I like that Nurture Soap's micas are all tested in CP soap, so you know what you're going to get, colorwise. I also like oxides. They take a little more care to mix than do micas, but you need a lot less.

So clays are used for colouring as well? I thought they were for adding certain properties to the soap, but I really didn't know.

It certainly adds color so you can use it as such. I love clay's for the color and the added properties. Clay's and mud are probably my favorite colorants; I can't wait to buy a larger variety. So far I have only used French green, Moroccan red and dead sea mud, I absolutely love each of those.

I love, love, love micas. You can combine colors to make your own or tint them with TD and shade with AC (a little goes a long way). You do not need a lot. If you want to tone down the vibrancy of a color, mix it with a bit of it's complimentary color to 'brown' it down. I'm a hobbyist so I normally go for the 1oz sizes. They last a really long time. I've hardly made a dent in most of mine.

I've had very good luck with ones from Mad Oils, but I know a lot of folks here get them from TKB Trading and the Conservatorie. I haven't tried them out yet though. One thing I like from Mad Oils is that even their samples come in jars. They sell 7gm samples that I've used for multiple batches.... so you could get a bunch to try out.

I've had good luck mixing similar colors to create a custom blend (e.g. blue + green to make a tealish blue); however, using a green mica just seems to work better for me than trying to combine a yellow and blue one. Hope that makes sense...

Would you please tell me what TKB and AC are?

It certainly adds color so you can use it as such. I love clay's for the color and the added properties. Clay's and mud are probably my favorite colorants; I can't wait to buy a larger variety. So far I have only used French green, Moroccan red and dead sea mud, I absolutely love each of those.
Hello, is it ok if you tell me how you use the dead sea mud? Did it work all the time well in your batches?
I feel I need to hear from some one who worked already with it.
Thank you and for all others in this thread.:smile:

Hello, is it ok if you tell me how you use the dead sea mud? Did it work all the time well in your batches?
I feel I need to hear from some one who worked already with it.
Thank you and for all others in this thread.:smile:

I have used as little as 1 tsp per pound of oil and as much as 2tbs ppo. Those amounts apply to both clay and mud. The only dead sea mud I have used has been as a preserve (which is mixed with water, it is not dried out). So with the dead sea mud preserve I subtract a little bit of water, but not much. I add it at light trace alongside my EO's. I have added clay's both dry and wet at light trace, both ways work alright. If you add it dry just expect quite a bit more mixing to get rid of those little puffs of dry soil. I have never had a problem with either dead sea mud or clay in those amounts. I would recommend 3-6 tsp ppo.

Would you please tell me what TKB and AC are?

TKB trading is a company, click here to check them out. AC = Activated Charcoal, and a little does go a very long way. I love activated charcoal, it's such a fun rich ingredient. Very deep black colorant.

My favorite soap to make and use is my dead sea mud and activated charcoal swirled in. I have shared it before on other threads, but since talk is coming up about both ingredients I'll share it again. I hope no one minds my repeated post of this soap. My first attempt at this soap was with chocolate swirls and it had citronella in the EO blend along with whats in it now. It has evolved into what it now is over many batches, and I am in love with it. I don't think I'll alter it any more, the only thing I may do is increase the EO % slightly.

DSCN3376.jpg

DSCN3370.jpg

Last edited:
TKB trading is a supplier: http://www.tkbtrading.com/

AC is activated charcoal. You can buy it from a supplier or get it from a pharmacy in little capsules.

TD is titanium dioxide.

Whoops, sorry Earthen - you already answered that. :) It didn't show up as a post until my page refreshed.

Latest posts

Back