Colour techniques

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penelopejane

Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to make what I think is a gradient soap but where the colours sort of meld together so it's not a hard line division.
Like these pictured below.

I think they are the same technique. Can you please tell me how this is done?

Hmmm the second photo won't upload. I'll try again on my computer in a few hours.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow. STUNNING!!

Brambleberry has tutorials for achieving the affect you achieved. They mention using LabColors, because they bleed a bit. So, to get a hard line division, you will need a non-bleeding colorant.

Wow. STUNNING!!

Brambleberry has tutorials for achieving the affect you achieved. They mention using LabColors, because they bleed a bit. So, to get a hard line division, you will need a non-bleeding colorant.

Thanks for that info!
Australian soap suppliers have made a concerted effort to only supply colours that DONT bleed. Very annoying!

Do colours that "bleed" also bleed out of the soap when you use it?

I can't look for a link right now but search YouTube or FB for Veronica Foales. I have done this and it is a fun technique. Basically doing a one pass pour along one side of the mold adding a small amount of colorant each time.

I knew the video, I just could not remember her name. So dibbles helped tremendously!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_hxsnJVmGs[/ame]

Last edited:
I can't look for a link right now but search YouTube or FB for Veronica Foales. I have done this and it is a fun technique. Basically doing a one pass pour along one side of the mold adding a small amount of colorant each time.

Do you have any photos of soaps you did with this technique? I watched the video, but it doesn't show the cut.

Do you have any photos of soaps you did with this technique? I watched the video, but it doesn't show the cut.

Teresa
Here is the video of the cut and she shows you some others that she has made with this technique:

Her website is:
http://veronicafoaleessentials.com.au/

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBAXdi7SwRg&list=PLHzwybbAdI94CmMi059gKGt5W0Hs3NXsv[/ame]

Last edited:
I can only guess, but what seems to be working for her is a very slow moving recipe. And each layer then sort of semi-melt into the next one.

While difference in colours between each layer is only slight which adds to the whole feel of non-existing lines (they are still visible though).

Some of the micas I got from Heirloom body care do bleed a lot. From my memory, it's the blue/aqua similar to the one used in that photo. She might have found similar colourant that bleeds and used it to her advantage in making different designs.

Some of the micas I got from Heirloom body care do bleed a lot. From my memory, it's the blue/aqua similar to the one used in that photo. She might have found similar colourant that bleeds and used it to her advantage in making different designs.

Thanks fuzz-juzz. Do the colours also bleed out of the soap when it is used?

I don't think you'd have to use bleeding colorants with Veronica's technique. She does so many passes that each layer is very thin and the increase (or decrease) in colorant is so small that you wouldn't get hard lines. If you look hard at her soap, you can see very thin lines between layers but most people wouldn't care a whit about that. Bleeding colorant won't necessarily bleed out of the soap (into the lather which is what I think you are asking) unless you used a lot.

Last edited:
I don't think you'd have to use bleeding colorants with Veronica's technique. Bleeding colorant won't necessarily bleed out of the soap (into the lather which is what I think you are asking) unless you used a lot.

Thanks newbie and dibbles,
I'll give it a try with the colours I have.

Thanks fuzz-juzz. Do the colours also bleed out of the soap when it is used?

Many colours will bleed into lather, it depends on the actual colour used and the amount. Reds and purples are the biggest offenders for me. :)

With the amount used in these soaps on the picture, I wouldn't think it would affect the colour of the lather that much.

Here are pics of the ones I made. The pink was my first try and I added too much color right away. The yellow/green is a try at two color ombre. I took a picture of the side so you can get an idea of how subtle the layering is.

IMG_20160824_185458122.jpg

IMG_20160824_185444645.jpg

Here are pics of the ones I made. The pink was my first try and I added too much color right away. The yellow/green is a try at two color ombre. I took a picture of the side so you can get an idea of how subtle the layering is.

Hi Dibbles
They are both lovely!
So I don't waste my limited mica supplies can you please tell me how much mica ppo you started with or are you a "throw a bit in until I like" it type of soaper? :)

Also that pink is close to a raspberry pink that I've been looking for. Can you tell me the name and who makes it please?

Last edited:
Hi Dibbles
They are both lovely!
So I don't waste my limited mica supplies can you please tell me how much mica ppo you started with or are you a "throw a bit in until I like" it type of soaper? :)

Also that pink is close to a raspberry pink that I've been looking for. Can you tell me the name and who makes it please?

I'll start with the easy answer first. The pink is Raspberry Red from Nurture, and is one of my favorite colors. As to how much...normally I am pretty much a mix a bit in until I like it soaper. I do premix my micas, normally in oil. My batch size for both of these was 31 oz oils. I made the pink quite awhile ago, so I'm not too sure about the amount. The yellow/green one I think I used about 1/2 tsp per color - probably a little more than that of yellow and less than that of green. I think I most likely used 3/4-1 tsp of the pink.

Use a slow moving recipe and a FO or EO you are pretty sure won't accelerate. The first time I used a recipe with 44% OO. The second time I used 27% OO, 10% high oleic sunflower and 5% shea. Both had palm and 2-3% castor. Bring your batter just to emulsion. I did a first pour with no colorant, then added (with a pipette) a small amount at a time. If I remember correctly, the pink batter was starting to get a little less fluid toward the end, but the other one was very fluid throughout. I would have had time to quickly mix up a bit more mica if I had needed to.

I hope this helps - post pictures if you give it a try :)

As usual I put the kibosh on my perfect soap.

I only have sample size micas so I thought I would make 1/2 a loaf = 500g (1 lb). I still wanted to use my silicone mold though because I have had this great idea before and lost most of the soap because it didn't come out of the mold (lunch box) and I wanted the finished soap to be a sensible soapy size.

So I taped a divider into the middle of the mold to make it 500g. To support this divider I put a few pieces of foam in the empty side.

So I mixed my batter to the perfect trace! (so pleased with myself) I mixed 2 tsp of mica into 4 tsp oil (great!). I did this for Nurture's Vibrance Yellow and Vibrance Blue.

I put 2 tsp of Nurture Yellow Vibrance mica/oil mix into my mix but it wasn't intense enough so I put the whole lot (equal to 2 tsp ppo) into the mix. A lovely, perfect yellow colour. (let's hope it cures to the same colour). I poured my first line down the side of the mold. Then I added 1/4 tsp of the blue oil/mica mix to each successive pours. Very nice colours just what I was aiming for.

Meanwhile my soap was leaking out under the divider! I had to hold the divider while I poured but still 1/2 the soap leaked into the other side. I pulled out the foam bits in the "this should be empty" side of the mold and have created interesting swirls (or just a complete mess) in that side of the mold.

Goodness knows what this is going to look like. It is warming it's little toes in the oven until tomorrow. My soap is going to be 40 mm high instead of 70. A ridiculous in-between size.

I love this technique though. So much easier than the other method where you have to measure each pour. Only one pot.
Just realised I forgot the stupid EO. :cry:

Here is the final soap. The one on the left is the "leaked through the divider" the two on the right are the itty bitty ombre. One good thing is that the micas worked and look good. They look a bit brighter in real life but I've take 5 photos and they still don't come up bright enough so you will just have to imagine "a bit brighter".

I went with higher water to give me time to play and so the spots in the soap are back when using the wire cutter. One day I will get it together and have one fantastic soap with good finish, good colour and good FO.

45 Ombre Soap.JPG

Last edited:
Back