colour stuff up?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emilee

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help me with info on colour swirling?

I mixed my ultramarine violet with sweet almond oil, and, forgetting to mix it with some of the soap first, I poured it directly into the soap, and then swirled.

After curing 24 hours, it looks fine, just a little powdery here and there and when I touch the colour, some comes off.

Will it still be ok to use?

Any help much appreciated

I've never attempted to color without mixing it with soap first. This might be one of those occations where we learn from you! I imagine it will be fine to use and don't think it will be harmful or anything.

Post pic's for us so we can see the effect and let us know if you're going around with a purple tush...no pic's of that though!! :oops:

Thanks for replying. yes, i guess it might just be a wait and see game after the month of curing is up. I would say that the purple will just come off on the body or flannel or whatever one uses, and won't be harmful as you say. How do you post pics?

The soap I posted a picture of today in "Soap Pot This Weekend" the Lilac-N-Roses I placed a few drops of UM Blue I mixed with water. I just droped a few drops on the top, and went in circles with a bamboo skewer. I do this about 1/3 of the time, no mixing colour in the soap batter.

DSCF3515.jpg

ok cool. when do you add your goat milk? do you mix it with the lye, or add it at trace. are these soaps a brown colour? I can't really tell. Why do you sometimes mix it with the soap and sometimes not? Is it best to mix UM colours with water or oil or does it not matter?

I mean why do you sometimes mix the colour with the soap and sometimes not? sorry, my wording is a bit confusing.

Emilee said:
I mean why do you sometimes mix the colour with the soap and sometimes not? sorry, my wording is a bit confusing.

It just depends on my mood really, and how intense I want the colour to show up. Since this was a floap, and I whipped it in the stand mixer for about 20 minutes, it got pretty stiff. That is one reason I just placed a few drops on the top and ran my skewer through the drops in a circular pattern. The base is a dusty rose colour, kinda a dark pinkish....

Paul

ok thanks. in your experience, does the colour come off easier when not mixed with soap first? could it be a problem for some customers?

Emilee said:
ok thanks. in your experience, does the colour come off easier when not mixed with soap first? could it be a problem for some customers?

As I swirl, the colour mixes with the soap batter, so it stays put very well. I used one of my Lilac/Rose bars today and it did not bleed blue hardly at all.

great. and how is it that you can use your soap straight away? do you not need to cure for a month?

Emilee said:
great. and how is it that you can use your soap straight away? do you not need to cure for a month?

Soured Goat Milk. :wink: GM lowers the pH of the soap naturally. I only make GM soap, been doing it for almost 4 years now. My soaps are so mild, even after only 24 hours, they are tongue zap safe. Now, I don't recommend this to anyone, and don't sell before at least 4 weeks. I just have what I think is a great recipe, I can unmold in 5 to 6 hours, and the soap is relatively hard within 24 to 48 hours with lots of bubbles. Hardness due to the lactic acid content of the soured GM. :D

wow, sounds great. We're in New Zealand, and only made gm soap too. Just started this year though. Thanks for all your help.

Emilee said:
Can you please tell me more about the tongue zap test?

It's an unofficial test for safely using the soap, making sure that it is not lye heavy, checking the pH. Take a bar of soap, touch it to your tongue. If you get a "zap" like touching your tongue to a 9 volt battery, there is still lye needing to saponify and is not fit to use yet. No tingling or zap, it is safe to use, most of the time. Always giving my soaps a 3 to 4 week cure time though before selling.

Paul

Back