Colour Safe Syndet Shampoo bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Asterousia thank you for sharing your henna experience! You are brave to put boiled onion peels on your hair. Does the smell carry through?? I'll be more likely to check into the shikakai shampoo, so I appreciate the mention. :)

I make an infusion of onion peels (red or yellow onion) and use this to activate henna, I don't put onion peels on hair directly :) It doesn't have a bad smell, it's neutral. I find smell of henna quite repulsive, hay alike and will do anything to kill it. That's why I use cinammon and clove, not for colouring. Also, after rinsing out henna, I never co-wash it, just use 2 Tbs of shikakai powder diluted in very warm water (to make a paste) with 2 drops of tea tree essential oil and 2 drops of neroli essential oil (EOs are added when temperature of the paste drops down) as a shampoo. This shampoo will not remove henna at this early stage and neroli do wonders in the fragrance department.

Anyway, back to onion peels infusion: take dry onion peels (save them while you're cooking your meals and let them dry out completely to eliminate mold production. After that you can keep them in dry conditions for months), put in a pot a generous amount of onion peels and top it up with water (I use spring water). Bring it to a boil, cover the pot and let it simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and leave for a couple of minutes, than strain the infusion and use it to activate henna. As for onion peels, you can throw them away :)

I use similar method for dying Easter eggs, they are amazing and you can be creative with herbs too :)

I would never eat an egg dyed with artificial colours.

Got a feedback from DragonSpice, shipping would be 15 euros for a 1 kg parcel, so I'll definitely place the order by the end of September! :)

If you want to experiment with SLMI, you can contact Innospec at:

Performance Chemicals (North Carolina): 704-633-8028

and ask them for a list of retail shops that sell Iselux in flakes or powder form. If you combine it with a couple of other mild surfactants, I'm sure this indigo will last longer :)

Last edited:
Thank you fir the detailed info. It would take me a long time to collect enough onion peels, so I will stick with my black tea infusion for now while I investigate the shikakai powder. 😊

I agree, the henna with added herbs smells like a feed silo. I also don’t like the smell of cloves (migraine trigger for me) so I will gladly leave them out of my tea infusion now that I know they are just for scent.

Not a fan of tea tree scent, so my go-to EOs for hair rinse are rosemary, peppermint, and lavender. They make a lovely blend with rosemary and peppermint on the low side, like 1:1:3.

Thank you fir the detailed info. It would take me a long time to collect enough onion peels, so I will stick with my black tea infusion for now while I investigate the shikakai powder. 😊

Sidr is known as henna protector, but my hair doesn't like it so I use lots of shikakai and put just a little bit of sidr (among other plants) in my ayurvedic plant powder shampoo.

I agree, the henna with added herbs smells like a feed silo. I also don’t like the smell of cloves (migraine trigger for me) so I will gladly leave them out of my tea infusion now that I know they are just for scent.v

In theory, clove is supposed to emphasize burgundy tones, but I never wanted that and it did nothing to alter the bacis henna colour. So I use it to cover the unpleasant odour, but you can attain the same with the right choice of essential oils.

Not a fan of tea tree scent, so my go-to EOs for hair rinse are rosemary, peppermint, and lavender. They make a lovely blend with rosemary and peppermint on the low side, like 1:1:3.

I'm not a fan of tea tree oil smell either, but it's perfect as antibiotic and antimycotic and I'd like to keep the bugs at bay ;) Besides, neroli overpowers it and I loooooove neroli :) During regular hair washes, I combine tea tree with rosemary EO.

Google search brought me to this page:
https://www.lookfantastic.gr/jo-hansford-volumising-shampoo-250ml/10556630.html
"Achieve voluptuous, bouncy locks with the Jo Hansford Expert Colour Care Volumising Shampoo. The shampoo is designed to transform limp and fine hair with natural ingredients sourced from the Amazon and works to boost hair with a natural body, lifting every strand from the root.

Formulated with Sweet Blue Lupin Peptides in its ingredients, this is one of the only Ecocert natural ingredients to have been scientifically proven to keep hair colour-fast for up to 30 washes. Working to enhance the appearance of coloured hair, the shampoo contains Heliovita Colour Care Complex, leaving hair looking and feeling healthy. Sunflower Seed Extract helps to protect against free radicals, whilst Iselux LQ will prevent your hair colour from fading.

The expert colour care volumising shampoo contains Creatine and Conditioning Panthenol which significantly improves hair structure whilst encouraging growth and adding long-lasting volume. "

Two key ingredients for colour preserverance of this liquid shampoo are Sweet Blue Lupin Peptides and Iselux LQ (SLMI in liquid form).

More on Sweet Blue Lupin Peptides:

http://protecingredia.com/brochure/cp-sweet-blue-lupin-tds-2012-02-24.pdf
This sounds utterly amazing and I wonder how come I never heard about this active?! This pdf is dated on February 2012, obviously it's present on the market for 9 years. Tried to locate closest retail shop for purchase but can't seem to find any. All I can dig up are white lupin peptides which is plant with different properties.

Does anyone have any experience with Sweet Blue Lupin Peptides? Any info where to buy it?

Last edited:
Well that was an interesting rabbit hole. In a general web search for Sweet Blue Lupine Peptides, I found many products that contain blue lupine peptides, but only a few references to companies that appear to carry it, with no ordering information:

1. Specialchem.com has a brochure about sweet blue lupine, produced by Ceapro. On the Ceapro website, they don't list Sweet Blue Lupin as one of their available products.

2. Protecingredia - same as above; they have the brochure linked in the post above this one, but Oat Cosmetics doesn't have SBL listed on their website.

A search using the INCI name hydrolyzed lupin seed extract shows more suppliers, but most of them don't say whether their product is from white or blue lupin. If they happen list the Latin name for the plant (most don't), then lupinus angustifolius is the blue lupin; l. albus is the white. I didn't find any that specifically list l. angustifolius as the source plant.

For instance, Formulator Sample Shop sells two lupine products. One is specifically designated as white lupine, and is used as an ingredient for hair conditioners. The other is as "FSS Lupine Amino Acids." It doesn't say whether it is white or blue, but shows a blue lupine pic with the product listing, here:

FSS Lupine Amino Acids

@AliOop thank you very much for your effort.

It seems this magical active is not so magical after all....otherwise it would be a staple ingredient in every significant retail shop.

Back