Colour mixing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanjeevanie

Reaction score
Hello there, can anyone help me with oxide color mixing? Do you have any colour mixing chart?How much I have to use in 1lb CP soap? Thank you 🙏🙏🙏🙏

There is no specific amount per se. Approximately 3/4-1 tsp per pound of oils. I don't really measure. I mix mine in a bit of oil and get as smooth as I can. I add it to my separated batter until it's the color I want. I generally strain it through a small strainer to avoid lumps.

Hello there, can anyone help me with oxide color mixing? Do you have any colour mixing chart?How much I have to use in 1lb CP soap? Thank you 🙏🙏🙏🙏
Color wheels are easy to find online. Just type in color mixing wheel.

I use an electric coffee grinder to mix my different colors. If you are using oxides, then you can run them through a sieve like shunt2011 says or the coffee grinder. Oxides often come in a large particle sizes and you don't want clumps in your soap.

There's no mystery to mixing oxides but they come in a limited range of colors. You might want to consider getting some ultramarine colors too. That way you can create a larger range of colors.

I use an electric coffee grinder to mix my different colors. If you are using oxides, then you can run them through a sieve like shunt2011 says or the coffee grinder. Oxides often come in a large particle sizes and you don't want clumps in your soap.

There's no mystery to mixing oxides but they come in a limited range of colors. You might want to consider getting some ultramarine colors too. That way you can create a larger range of colors.
Thank you so much.
There is no specific amount per se. Approximately 3/4-1 tsp per pound of oils. I don't really measure. I mix mine in a bit of oil and get as smooth as I can. I add it to my separated batter until it's the color I want. I generally strain it through a small strainer to avoid lumps.
Thank you so much. I'll try that.

And I wanted to know which medium are you using for oxide colour mixing? Glycerin or alcohol. Thank you.

Alcohol will cause your soap to seize more than likely. I use a bit of oil from my batch.
Thanks for catching and writing the alcohol tip. It didn't even register in my mind.

@Shanjeevanie let me be more clear.

I don't recommend using alcohol or glycerin to mix your dry pigments.

You mix up your pigments dry to get the color you want. Then you can reserve some oil from your recipe to disperse the color in and then add that to your melted oils. You don't have to use any oil from your recipe but make sure you adjust your super fat in order to cover any extra oil that you use for dispersing your pigments. You can also mix the dry pigments right into the batter if you want without using any oil beforehand.

Last edited:
Hi, is it safe to use oxides in foaming bath butter?
There would be no safety issues but there could be a staining issue. I would look for foaming bath butter recipes online and see if any of them are using oxides for coloring. I have never made them before.

There would be no safety issues but there could be a staining issue. I would look for foaming bath butter recipes online and see if any of them are using oxides for coloring. I have never made them before.
Thank you so so much Todd Zeiegler. You don't know how much it means to me. Thank you.😊😊😊

Latest posts

Back