Colour leak normal?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicvic

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I'm new to soapmaking and have just gotten my first batch of cured CP soap ready to distribute.

The recipe uses Olive oil, Almond oil, Avocado oil, Coconut oil
Blue Ultramarine oxyde, Violet oxyde, Titanium dioxyde and sodium lactate.
I used Peppermint, Lemon and Spearmint EOs.
I finished it off with some teabag leaves.
I noticed, now 5 weeks later, that while it lathers perfectly, it leaks colour. And since I've never had coloured soap in my life, I don't know what to expect when using it and wondered how normal this is. If it is, I can at least let users know what to expect, and if it isn't normal, to expect that it's a mistake in my blending but it's still safe to use.
For what it's worth: I mixed the colours at a tsp to tbsp of almond oil ratio and blended with the milk frother.
See the image below for an example of leaking.
Would love feedback!
Thank you
Vic

Attachments

• IMG_20190413_001024.jpg
    IMG_20190413_001024.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 47
Also, I would get a soap dish that allows proper drainage. It seems as if your bar has been sitting in moisture since it was used and it'll get sticky and leave a layer of soap mush wherever you stick it.

Right, so it sounds like a mix of proper handling and colour mixing. I was pretty certain I used the right ratio, but it could be I used it based on the full weight rather than the split amount I expect to truly mix with.

The general usage rate for micas, if that is what you’re using are 1 tsp. Per pound of oils. Or less. Proper drainage is important for handmade soap.

That's a great instructional video that dibbles posted.

You are right, though. If you based each colorant amount on the total batch weight, but only colored a smaller percentage of the soap batter with 3 different colors then you used 3 times as much colorant as you needed.

I have noticed that the oxides I use tend to 'bleed' if used in the same proportions as micas. So I cannot use as much oxides as I do micas. At least Titanium dioxide is white so if it did bleed, I wouldn't notice in my white sinks, but I don't think it does. However, it presents other problems if too much TD is used.

Thank you EVERYONE for the various tips!
@dibbles I'll watch the video with great attention.
I made a batch yesterday and considered my proportions better. That is definitely a learning experience. One I feel I never picked up from any tutorials, strangely.

@earlene , what do you refer to with too much TD posing a problem?

Thank you EVERYONE for the various tips!
@dibbles I'll watch the video with great attention.
I made a batch yesterday and considered my proportions better. That is definitely a learning experience. One I feel I never picked up from any tutorials, strangely.

@earlene , what do you refer to with too much TD posing a problem?

The soap can get a bit chalky. Too much water with TD causes glycerin rivers, which some like and some hate, sort of an added surprise design feature that looks like a sort of crackly river around the edges of the colors; somewhat like crackly nail polish (and yes, that is a thing.) TD causes the soap to thicken, so using too much will just cause more thickening, like using too much thickener in gravy. It leaves you with very little time to create your design and pour your soap into the mold. Also if not mixed well, which can happen whether you use too much or not, you can get clumps of TD in your finished soap, that smears as you cut or use the soap.

And so you were too right about the TD being too much HAH!
I ended up seeing clumps in my soap as I cut it.
Lessons to learn :)

Clumps can be from the TD not getting mixed well enough. Out of all the oxides, its seem to be the one that is the most finicky with mixing.

I mix mine with a little hot water before I start anything else with batch, even before the lye mix.
Periodically I check it and make sure to smash up any lumps. This way it hydrates all the way and I don't get specks anymore.

Great to hear this tip. I am noticing those properties more as I think about my experiences with it.

Do most of you premix your colorants before you start or do you wait until mixing the lye? I wonder if that also plays a role where the powders I mixed start to settle.
I also find it hard to froth a tablespoon of almond oil with the teaspoon of powder in a small cup. It always feels like the frother is half in and is spinning air. Would it make sense to just add more oil or water in general than too little? If it's gonna go into the mix eventually anyway, it might as well be at its most diluted?

Back