Colour Combinations For Tinted Lip Balm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nienna

Reaction score
Hi,
So I am starting to make lip balms, first batch has gone well and I tried making a tinted one. However the colour came out very light so I did more research and found I need to use a oxide alongside the mica. However I am trying to understand what colour oxides to use for what product. I see recipes online using a black oxide with red mica, now obviously I don't understand how colouring works since that just seems wild to me to use black to make a red tint.

So does someone have a list of what oxides to use with what mica colours to get certain end stage tints? Like what colours to combine to make a red tinted balm, a pink tinted or a nude tinted for example.

Hi,
So I am starting to make lip balms, first batch has gone well and I tried making a tinted one. However the colour came out very light so I did more research and found I need to use a oxide alongside the mica. However I am trying to understand what colour oxides to use for what product. I see recipes online using a black oxide with red mica, now obviously I don't understand how colouring works since that just seems wild to me to use black to make a red tint.

So does someone have a list of what oxides to use with what mica colours to get certain end stage tints? Like what colours to combine to make a red tinted balm, a pink tinted or a nude tinted for example.
HumbleBeeandme has a book with lip balm and lipstick recipes. She does have multiple color recipes and suggestions in her book (make it up). There are a few online recipes with tints: Summer Stone Fruit Lip Balm - Humblebee & Me
Oh and I found very nice oxides on Tkbtrading.com. There is a red oxide with a blue shade. It matches a discontinued Sonia Kashuk I’ve worn for years. Red Oxide - Blue Shade
Think you will need a jewelers scale to weigh teeny tiny amounts of oxides and micas if you don’t already have one.
Am going to add a bit of shea butter to my winter lip balms. Currently using HumbleBeeandme book recipe for lip balm. Raspberry FO from Brambleberry is nice in lip balms. Coriander EO interesting but can be a bit bitter. Chocolate is nice too. Coffee oil is my favorite FNWL.com had their coffee oil on half price.
Hope this is helpful.

Oxides don't come in that many colors, so i would first figure out what's the amount of oxide (sans mica) that suits you, then incorporate mica to morph its shade towards the end result you want. Since both are pigments, they will sit on your lips, except you'll need a lot more mica than oxide to achieve color pay off.

Experiment by mixing in a carrier oil or even better a melted lip balm base and add tiny spoonfuls until you know how much mica or oxide you need.

Also check out Whole Elise on YouTube, she has a great tutorial on tinted lip balms.

Latest posts

Back