Colors and scents... When?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Absinthe

Reaction score
I have seen differing reccomendations on this, some say put it in the lye water, some say put in the oils, some say at trace.

This might be a good poll question but I will wait and see if there are any other suggestions first.

i tried adding finicky fo with the oils, didnt help, so i add them at very light trace.

I prefer light trace. That way I can stir really fast and get it in the mold while it's hardening. By then it's thick trace and you can do the fluffy tops! This is just a one pound test batch so I can't say what would happen if I needed more time to work with.

I tried adding to oils, but it seemed like my soap wouldn't trace properly like it wanted to separate. So now I know if I can get trace first, add FO and pour immediately I have a chance.

I add all fragrances to the oils before the lye, and part of the color goes in not long after the lye solution and oils are just barely emulsified. (I always mix up a little bit of extra color and add a tiny bit more if it's looking too light in the mixing bucket.)

artisan soaps said:
How I Love your Fluffy Tops! - I was naughty & tried Bling last night :D

Thanks! :p It's hard to resist the glitter!!

Latest posts

Back