Coloring

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maggiemarieoc

Reaction score
In my home made lotions my favorite way to color them is with dehydrated fruit and veggie products- is this a way of coloring M&P soap as well?

I've read that you can use some herbs but you have the potential of DOS and I think it might even turn brown. Hopefully someone with more experience will put their 2 cents in soon.

I have used powdered indigo, spirulina and madder root mixed into glycerin and added drop by drop to M&P soap to good effect for blue, green and red. I would figure the same would work for alkanet for purple - just go easy or it will go black. I would think just soaking annatto seeds in glycerin would give a nice yellow. You just want the glycerin to be as strong in color as possible so that you add as little as possible.

Edit to add: the spirulina does fade over time, but to a paler green, not beige as in CP soap.

Update; I just had a pretty disasterous experience with M&P and cranberry powder. It turned a lovely color of grey

I like the bb colorblocks for my m&p projects. It makes nice solid colors but if I want a more translucent color I use a little bit of food coloring.

Latest posts

Back