Coloring with cocoa powder?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just made soap colored with cocoa powder and it's a beautiful brown. I am impatient waiting to test it in 3 weeks and have questions for the forum. Does it turn lather or washcloth brown? Does it have a scent? I can't really smell cocoa, just the peppermint essential oil I used. I used 2 Tbsp per pound of oil. Thanks!

I've used unsweetened dark baking chocolate and cocoa powder in one of my soaps, along with Chocolate Fudge FO with peppermint; it's my granddaughter's favourite soap. I've never had an issue with staining.

20181004_170329_HDR.jpg

I have used a local, unbranded cocoa powder in the single successful batch of soap I've managed to make (I've made only 3 btw) and there is a very faint "dessert" smell (it doesn't come off as specifically chocolatey, at least to me) ... Not sure if it's because of the kind of powder I used but maybe it being unscented also helped.

I used 1.5 tsp (very small batch) and added it after the cook. It's still curing so I have no idea yet if mine will color lather or stain towels. What I'm worried about is if the powder will feel scratchy.

I made a batch of cocoa soap (in the lye water) last night. I'm pretty certain it won't discolor since I was working with a recipe provided in one of Jo Haslauer's books, who makes all her soaps with natural colorants and sells them commercially. Not sure about scent as I used a fragrance oil but I did notice that the cocoa water (which smelled great at the outset) smelled pretty terrible after adding lye so I probably wouldn't have wanted that scent to stick anyway. It's my understanding that natural fragrances are very difficult to achieve when it comes to soap. Shea butter is said to leave a faint shea butter fragrance in the soap, which might come across as somewhat "desserty" if you pair it with cocoa powder if that's what you want?

Yes, a square of baking chocolate, melted with the oils.

That is so cool. I am still pretty new to soapmaking and I'm still playing around with infused oils and replacing the lye water with other liquids. Nowhere near having the guts to add in other things like this. Your soap looks beautiful!

Latest posts

Back