Coloring shaped candles/figurines?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bec MJ

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to apply little separate areas of colour on a shaped candle like you would see on the Gurley figurines or those shaped tea lights found in dollar stores etc. ?
The sections are too intricate for it to be dipping, unless maybe you cover over the parts you don’t want coloured?

So far I can’t find anything online about how I could go about this (maybe it can’t even be done at home!) Thanks for any help/info/links!

Do you have a picture of what you mean? I think those cheap votive candles you are talking about dollar stores are made with flake wax that is pressed, made in China and that's why it can be done with the votives/tealights etc.
But for the figurines are you trying to mimic a porcelain figurine or have you seen one in wax you want to create? I've never tried to do it, but without a picture, I"m not even exactly sure what you are talking about.

Thanks for responding.
I’m just toying with some designs for pillar candle moulds and want to get an idea of different ways that I might colour them before making a mould that would go to waste. I plan on doing a bit of experimenting & already have a few ideas of ways, but I was hoping someone might know for definite how Gurley candles (pictured) & other similar vintage candles are coloured.

My plans aren’t to make figurines though. More patterns along the lines of the cake pictured below.
vintage-Gurley-Christmas-candles-figural-holiday-candle-lot-Santa-snowmen-Laurel-Leaf-Farm-item-no-s2592-1.jpg
61xLQ97GsqL._SX425_.jpg

Oh those type of candles. I believe those are a type of pressed wax as well, with an overdip to seal it in.

To get the look like the cake you would make your embeds and then press them on the base candle using a wax to adhere them.

Latest posts

Back