Coloring lip balm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Larios

Reaction score
Hey everyone I was wondering what are safe things to use to color lip balms I was thinking on food coloring? Or maybe oxides?

Thanks

I wouldn't use either. You have to use colorant that are lip safe, you can also use some natural colorants like alkanet powder or beet powder. If you check colorants on different websites, it will say whether or not you can use them in lip balm.

I've never tried it, but I heard someone scraped off a bit of lipstick and added it to their formula to add some "lip safe" color.

TKB also has lipstick bases that you can add to the tip balm, I purchased a 20 gram and it will last a long time for coloring lip balms.

As others have said, you need to purchase colourants that are specified as "lip safe." You can get them off of any site you order soaping supplies from. A small amount will last you a very, very long time.

Are you looking to make lip balms to sell or just for yourself? If you were only making them for yourself there are some simpler/cheaper ways like adding a bit of lip stick, using a bit of koolaid powder, a bit of crayon. But if making to sell then yes you should purchase some lip safe colorants.

You need to use lip safe colorants. I would never us crayons in my lip balm even for myself, TKB trading, Nature's Garden, MMS all carry lip safe colorants.

Using non toxic crayons for making colorful lip balms and lipsticks is very common these days. DIY instructions and recipes are all over. Only things I've found saying they were unsafe are based on outdated research that doesn't apply to todays crayons. I don't make them myself though, I don't use lipstick and don't care about the color of my balms.

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/content/crayon_lipstick

I still would not use them even though others might They say non-toxic but have they been tested for use on someones lips or longtime skin contact. To each their own.

They would be for myself and to give as gifts I just took a little bit of lipstick and melted it

They're designed to be safe for ingestion, which is a step further (and a part of) lip safe.

Latest posts

Back