Coloring HP Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamabird1953

Reaction score
Hi there, I've been making HP soap for years and my colors are the ugliest. They turn out great with the natural herbs and spices but when I use other coloring options they are just plain ugly. What color options work and when do I add them...before or after the cook? I would just love to have a beautiful brilliant colored soap batch or two to sell!

Chlorophyll will make varying shades of green depending on how much is used. Tumeric, clove, cocoa powder, rose hip powder, lemon powder, matcha green tea and colored clays all affect the color. Food color also works but you get truer colors if you use titanium dioxide to whiten the soap first.

mamabird1953 said:
Hi there, I've been making HP soap for years and my colors are the ugliest. They turn out great with the natural herbs and spices but when I use other coloring options they are just plain ugly. What color options work and when do I add them...before or after the cook? I would just love to have a beautiful brilliant colored soap batch or two to sell!
i ALSO DO MOSTLY HP, i have added some cheap color from michaels and had some success, it makes kinda spotty color, but ive done red and it turned out pinf, green was good, blue not good, yellow, ok.

I use both natural colors like the clays and cocoa powder but then I also use colors both liquid and powders mixed with grapeseed oil with lots of luck so far. After I cook the soap I then add the colors to the soap.

But my first step is I add titanium dioxide to my water/lye first before I cook the soap. This may help out with making my colors stay since I start off with a white soap.

Here is a link to some of my colored HP soaps

http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

I'm the opposite of you! :lol: I've been OHP for 7 years now and always had the best luck with colorants like Select Shades and Labcolours. I just recently added an herbal line to my current line and the herb colorants are tough ...for me anyhoos! I always add my colorants before cook...this includes herb colorants as well.

Lovena

Elle said:
I'm the opposite of you! :lol: I've been OHP for 7 years now and always had the best luck with colorants like Select Shades and Labcolours. I just recently added an herbal line to my current line and the herb colorants are tough ...for me anyhoos! I always add my colorants before cook...this includes herb colorants as well.

Lovena

I would use whatever Lovena is using. I use Labcolours for my CP soap and will use it for my HP. I thought I would give it a whirl. Anyway, GREAT HP color tutorials Lovena. Thanks for sharing that info. :)

This was an CPHP done with BB's labcolors. I'm soon switching to Tradewinds basic 8 though. I get nice vibrant colors.

RedCurrant001.jpg

Latest posts

Back