coloring CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello. My question is about oxides, micas and natural spices for coloring soap. Does paprika, sage, tomato powder, etc... color the same as a mica or an oxide? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is the best and easiest to use when coloring and swirling CP soap??? This is my first try at it and I want to get as much advice as I can before I start. Also, how much do I use for 8 pound batches of soap???

THANKS!!! :lol:

Natural colorants are very different than oxides and micas. I've used oxides and natural colorants.....not much of a taste for micas here.

Basically, the natural colors are less vivid, but no less lovely than the others. If you want a vibrant, high contrast swirl, use oxides or ultramarines or Lab Colors from BB.

However, if you want subtle but beautiful swirls that are earthy in their coloring, definitely play with the spices. I usually start out with about a 1/4 teaspoon per pound of oils, mix with a little soap batter, and adjust upwards as needed.

My favorite swirl to date was a batch I colored with part turmeric, and part brick red oxide. When swirled it looks like sunset in the desert. :)

Just a small thought... If this is your first go, I would humbly suggest you might want to try 1 or 2 lbs rather than 8 lbs. Your first batch could go fantastically well, but if it doesn't, it's much easier to say goodbye to 1 lb of oil than to 8 lbs. (Then again, I suppose there's always re-batching...)

Have fun!!!!

I have used annatto seed powder, tumeric root powder, rosehip powder, cocoa, and cinnamon. A little goes a long way.

Unless you infuse and strain the oil ahead of time, natural spices will give a "speckled" appearance to your soap because they don't totally dissolve. It's an effect I really like, but something you might want to plan for depending on the soap you're planning.

if I'm not mistaken....isn't this the same topic brought up in about 3 other threads in just the last few days???

just wanted to know if I'm going senile or has anyone else noticed too??

does not anyone search anymore?

jadiebugs1 said:
if I'm not mistaken....isn't this the same topic brought up in about 3 other threads in just the last few days???

just wanted to know if I'm going senile or has anyone else noticed too??

does not anyone search anymore?

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Well, I did notice that this thread was about two posts above the other thread on soap colouring for a while, but I was just far too polite to comment. :p

Latest posts

Back