Coloring (and using) Melt and Pour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all!
I have two giant blocks of Melt & Pour base - one opaque and one clear. I want to make some confetti soap. What do you use to color the M&P?

Oh! I just thought - HOW do you color the M&P? Do you melt it, color it, let it re-harden and then chop it up?

I use mica. Unless I am in a rush I also premix the mica in a little bit of isopropyl alcohol. No need to let it harden, chop it up and melt again. Just use separate cups for the different colors you are using.

John, are you going to color the M&P base and then grate it up to use as confetti in CP soap or are you wanting to make a confetti M&P bar?

To use as confetti in CP

I'd be concerned about the MP melting when the CP heats up during saponification, but it would be an interesting experiment. 🤔
I'm sure someone must have tried it though, so perhaps you'll hear from someone with more experience...
If you do try it, I'll be interested to see how it comes out. Might be best to do a small batch first though!

I'd be concerned about the MP melting when the CP heats up during saponification, but it would be an interesting experiment. 🤔
I'm sure someone must have tried it though, so perhaps you'll hear from someone with more experience...
If you do try it, I'll be interested to see how it comes out. Might be best to do a small batch first though!
Oh, true - for my first attempt at Kryptonite soap I used (homemade) m&p for embeds. The small amount remaining above the surface hollowed out into a shell as the interior liquified and mixed into the rest of the batter...

Oh, true - for my first attempt at Kryptonite soap I used (homemade) m&p for embeds. The small amount remaining above the surface hollowed out into a shell as the interior liquified and mixed into the rest of the batter...

When people mention mixing MP with CP, I've wondered how MP embeds work in CP soap, especially if CPOP is used. Thank you, Tara.

The other thing I have wondered is if there is any separation once the soap is in use. I once purchased some pretty layered MP soap from a soapmaker in my travels, and as soon as I started using it, the layers all came apart from each other. So I figured that the same might happen if MP & CP were together in the same soap in a similar configuration.

I made confetti soap using M&P a LONG time ago. I can't remember the details, but I don't think I was displeased with it.
I bought the M&P at The Dollar Store and just chopped it up and threw it in the CP at heavy trace.

I'm sure there are plenty of variables that affect how it will come out! Very interested to see the result from yours :)

Just this morning I did the opposite---I shredded some CP scraps and mixed them in some clear M&P base. :) I have used M&P for embeds in CP soap, but not as a confetti in CP soap. You'll have to share pix. Oh, and I have never used mica in M&P, only liquid colorants. Might have to try that, just for fun. Although I rarely do M&P these days. Only for playing around and experimenting like I did today with the scraps.

Just this morning I did the opposite---I shredded some CP scraps and mixed them in some clear M&P base. :) I have used M&P for embeds in CP soap, but not as a confetti in CP soap. You'll have to share pix. Oh, and I have never used mica in M&P, only liquid colorants. Might have to try that, just for fun. Although I rarely do M&P these days. Only for playing around and experimenting like I did today with the scraps.
I would like to see how you like the result, would mp embeds stay better that way? 🥺

Latest posts

Back